Angry car owner encounter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
( and why he kept going on about the bins I don't know. ).

There have been a fair few wasps about on our allotment the last couple of weeks. People have assumed they're bees buzzing about but it's queen wasps looking to break into sheds and build nests.

Thanks for all the input. I'll move the hive over the other side of the garden but there's already a good 6m between his car and the hive ( and why he kept going on about the bins I don't know. ). They are designated parking spaces, rather than on street parking he made a point of going on about how he'd struggled to get one away from trees.
I could threaten to start keeping pigeons or just get a bird table well stocked with prunes....:ohthedrama:

Council parking spaces or private? because if they are council controlled, its likely that anybody can use them..

Last edited:
Cats do stuff in other people's gardens. I've never heard of EH doing anything about that, although I wish they would.

Cats do stuff in other people's gardens. I've never heard of EH doing anything about that, although I wish they would.

Easily solved by foxes.

All these smart answers are well and good but he's your neighbour, even if he's a S**T....pardon the pun....
Neighbourhood disputes can get really nasty. Do you want to live with such a cloud over your life all the time, just for the sake of a debatable principle.
I'd move them away and enjoy your bees in peace and quiet.
Anybody with bees in their urban/suburban garden should have a get out apiary.

I'm moving the hive to the other side of the garden so there's a little more space for them to disperse. Not being able to drive, an out apiary would be a right pain to deal with.

I have spent a good deal of time watching my bees - they don't cluster around the bins and they're not leaving in huge clouds, they exit the hive go up to an altitude of around 9 feet and make a sharp left. That does put his precious soft top under the flight path but I can't see that being grounds for declaring them a public nuisance unless blackberry bushes leading to purple bird crap landing on cars and cats in the vegetable beds come under the same category.

How long have you had the bees there?

Six weeks - not long enough to claim it's well established. There are plenty of legal precedents in this area though determining what is considered 'not an excessive amount of bees' and that there is a right to keep them but the legal route isn't one I'd care to go down.

By shifting the hive away from the direct line of flight I hope I'll diffuse things - it'll also be out of line of sight of his flat so he might think they've gone.

My actual next-door neighbours are fine about them and found the surprise swarm in their garden the other week highly entertaining - even the bit where the branch broke and the bees landed on my other half's head. Wish I'd been filming - in B&W we might have had some classic slap-stick.

but I can't see that being grounds for declaring them a public nuisance unless blackberry bushes leading to purple bird crap landing on cars and cats in the vegetable beds come under the same category.

The difference between what your saying is you own the hive the bees are residing in so you are responsible if they are causing a problem even if it seems petty to you

The bird crap your on about has no place in your argument as you don't own them if you did you would be responsible for them as well

If its deemed the bees are causing a nuisance the authorities have the powers (i think its called) the town and counrty act and once they have served you notice you will have to move them from your garden, if you don't they will remove them for you and charge you for the pleasure
They can serve this act for a varity of things from overgrown garden to rundown appearance of the property to a cockerel crowing even in a countryside village and it doesn't matter if you own the property or not, I've fallen foul to this act and had to comply I even took legal advise and was told there was nothing I could do

I would say moving both hives to a different location in the garden well away from him should help but as for the cost of a new hood sounds like he's trying it on
Does he still have the old hood for you or a expert to inspect for damage if not he has no recourse so you have nothing to worry about
I wish you all the best and hopefully he will forget all about it once he sees you have moved them but somehow I dought it

Latest posts

Back