Angry farmer wants me to move hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Neighbouring farmer has just noticed the hive n my garden near his up till now vacant stable. He's planning to rent it to horse owners. Hive's been there over a year. It's about 15ft away from blind stable wall with a 10ft high hedge in between. The land is away from his main farm. He's demanded in quite an aggressive way that I move it. He fears they'll swarm into the stable. Also feed with molasses will attract them. He rang back having apparently spoken to a senior beekeeper who confirmed it was too close and a danger to his livestock and offered to give further evidence if needed! He is going to ring environmental health. Dysfunctional call ending with "I'll see you in court!" from him + slamming down phone!
Are there rules about siting hives + does mine sound too close to stable (though it was there first!)
Is there anything in his worry about molasses in feed attracting them?
Thanks for any advice.
Dan

I'd say ok, see you in court. I dont see how he can interfere with what you do on your land.

I agree. I'm a litigation solicitor and I wouldn't take his case on (unless he gave me £10k up front, and even then I'd advise him that he'd probably lose).

Ask him to move his stable a short way and you will move your hive the same distance in the opposite way.

I don't see how he can demand it. I would suggest that a letter to him stating that, but in the interest of neighbourly harmony, you will see what you can do. Was going to suggest a screen, but with a high hedge, surely they fly upwards and therefore would fly over the stable, not to it.

As the others have suggested, if all fails, ask him to try the court route. He would have a lot of difficulty and would probably look at costs that would prevent him from following through.

Ensure you have insurance up to date in case any horse injury is suprisingly attributed to your bees.

Any other beekeeper (senior or not) is unlikely to agree with him. I think he is bluffing.

Also check your deeds/tenancy rules to ensure there is nothing about what livestock you can keep on your land.

Last edited:
By the sounds of it, it does not matter what you say... best avoid conversations whilst he is in that mood.

Farmers are often valuable people to know as many have a bit of scrubby land they don't use... although your one is so dead set, I doubt if you would stand a chance.

I would be interested in knowing who the 'senior' beekeeper is though.... I have not heard of a swarm taking new residence only 15 feet away.
Whereabouts are you? ... one of us may know the Senior Beekeeper, or even the Farmer involved.

He is clearly trying to bully you, and I can't see that he will get anywhere with that set of objections.
I'd be interested to know what is motivating him. Is there history between you? Is he concerned that the potential stable renters will be put off if they spot your hive? Is he just a bee hater?

I know a farm where hives and horses co-exist closely without problems, and in my experience bees don't show much interest in molassed horse feed, in fact I seem to remember hearing that molasses has been used as a bee repellant?

P.S. How did he spot your hive if it is behind the stable and a 10ft hedge? :)

Nuisance?

Without Prejudice​

Now, if your bees had caused nuisance then he might have a foot to stand on.

I'd write to him pointing out how his land is 'protected' by your hedge etc and explaining that you have no intention of moving them.

Check your home insurance - if you have free legal cover (many do) then give them a call to see what they have to say.

And yes, call this bully's bluff. When tenants do move in, contact them and tell them about the bees (and the hedge etc) and give them your contact details in case of problems.

R2

Dan,

Out of interest are you a member of your local bka association?
The reason I ask is purely in case this matter does go to court (v.unlikely imho) at least you can state you are a member of the local association with access to experienced advise and hands on help and you are covered by insurance.

If he threats you again, I would ask the farmer to put his objections down in writing and ask him to state why he feels you should move your hive. Take photographs from various angles of the where the hive is located in your garden.
Unfortunately though for you he wouldn't of needed planning permission to site the stables there but I doubt any one who agree to back him taking you to court.

Last edited:
I keep bees and horses, though not together. Bees would not bother my horses in any way.

I would probably move it as the farmer in all likelihood will be determined to destroy your hive any way that he can. The destruction of the hive is the likely result of you standing your ground, irrespective of the rights and wrongs.

Once you have moved the hive (if you do) I would place an empty on the same site just to annoy the farmer!

I agree with all the sentiments here.

It's your land, so subject to restricions in your deeds you can keep bees there, so the Court threat is hollow at best.

Practically though, if you refuse is he likely to suddenly require to spray that corner of his field with insecticide, just as the wind is blowing your way...

You could try a mediation route with a letter (ideally from local BKA, or endorsed by it for the bee related bits) setting out the molasses will not attract bees, others keep horses and bees, it's your garden, and why can't we all just get along etc.

This is a very difficult situation for you, you have my sympathy.

Keep a written record of everything he says to you (including dates and times). If it goes to court it will really help you to have the facts at your fingertips.
It may also be worth telling him that you have installed CCTV to keep an eye on the hive - it might discourage him from doing something silly to it.

Why are people assuming the farmer will go and do something pointless and try and kill the bees.

He has gone off in a strop he will lick his wounds and calm down he probably has bigger problems to deal with.

I would contact him and inform him you are willing to discuss his concerns if he will only adopt a civil tone. That's likely to send him round the bend.

Make a recording of the message in case you need the evidence.

Why are people assuming the farmer will go and do something pointless and try and kill the bees.

He has gone off in a strop he will lick his wounds and calm down he probably has bigger problems to deal with.

But Tom, why would he have gone off in such a strop? Sounds like he started in a strop.

To be fair, bees and horses dont mix well - but it sounds like his fears are not based on fact - no reason why they would swarm that close, molasses wont interest them (I think?) - though it will other pests like wasps, and not danger to the livestock.

The Farmer owning land next to mine , built a stable less than 6' behind my hives, in fact he told me " As I was building the walls , thousands of bees were landing on the mortar mix , I flicked them off as I was going along but in the end I just had to brick more than a few in with the wall".
This stable has now been established 15 years and more ! Only one of three horses to use it was stung ! She(an Irish cob) had stood on a bumblebees' nest, she leathered across the field and took refuge in the stable :).

Don't forget , horses often tangle with bumblebees and ground nesting wasps! especially if there is a stream meandering across the land , as wasps often build their nests in the ground nearby !
John Wilkinson

Thanks for those replies. I sounds like he doesnt have a legal right to require me to move it. Having said that I dont want a long running dispute. He probably is someone who'd destroy a hive. I heard when I moved here he shot a dog of a neighbour which was tied up in a yard which he believed, without evidence had worried his sheep, before talking to owner etc.
The hive is in a ideal spot from my point of view + I don't want to move it and the stubborn git in me doesn't want to give in to bullying.

Latest posts

Back