Advice for hives next to a farmers field

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fearlessfergy

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
HI all, my hives are located at the end of my garden which borders a field, the farmer has told me he will let me know before he sprays his potato crop but I am concerned about what I need to do to protect my hive when that happens (is a wet sheet draped or blocked entrance enough?and for how long?, I do not have an option to move my hives elsewhere ) and I would also like some guidance about the risks to any honey stored in supers that I may eat or give to friends later in the season. All advice gratefully recieved.

As far as I know, honey bees don’t forage on potatoes. There is also rules and guidelines on spraying crops in flower with insecticide. Weather the farmer obeys it is another mater.

Ask the farmer when he is spraying (time of day), often it is early morning or late evening with little wind about. If a morning spray close the entrance in the evening and open a few hrs later, just make sure they have ventilation (maybe the only time you will ever need matchsticks).

Ask the farmer when he is spraying (time of day), often it is early morning or late evening with little wind about. If a morning spray close the entrance in the evening and open a few hrs later, just make sure they have ventilation (maybe the only time you will ever need matchsticks).
What do you do with the matchsticks?

I light my smokers with them, but if locking the bees in for spraying one could use them to prop open the CB for ventilation if very warm. Apparently it is a BBKA recommended practice, but usually used during winter for some strange reason.

Thank you!
Unfortunately I don’t have any contact details for the farmer so hope I am informed in advance, what would you do if spraying happens during the day or later pm.

Visit the farm and ask, shouldn't be an issue as the farmer has already spoken to you. So he sounds like a reasonable guy.

Thank you!
Unfortunately I don’t have any contact details for the farmer so hope I am informed in advance, what would you do if spraying happens during the day or later pm.
Hasn't the farmer already said he will warn you prior to spraying? If your hives are on omf and some shade from the sun the bees should tolerate being closed up for a few hours. Solid floors would need a little short term extra ventilation as mentioned above.

the Cherry fields that surround our fields are regularly sprayed with gunk (technical word), I went out and spoke to the tractor driver who was very caring and he now has my mobile no. And texts me the day before he is going to spray and also does the bit closest to my hives very first thing. He gets a jar of honey in the Autumn of course.

That's a good result Malcolm. As the old adage goes you scratch my back & I will scratch yours.

Latest posts

Back