Angry Angry bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all. Had one hive approx 2 1/2 weeks ago. Had a swarm out of this hive which I caught along with queen. Rehoused in new hive. Now have two. Still no eggs in new hive so assume new queen will be producing brood soon. Weather here has been great for last 8 weeks. No rain hardly. Original hive that swarm came from is really really aggresive. I dont know if there is a queen in there or not and was advised to leave alone for 4 weeks and feed which I have done so far. Went down today to check syrup levels and none left. Bees took down 4 kg 1:1 sugar syrup in 3 days. While I was there and every time since swarm these bees just want to kill me. I cant go near them. Every time I do I get stung. stinging through suit, gauntlet canvas, even got stung in finger through my leather gloves. they are all over my arms and mesh veil and follow me 100 m to house. I cant take suit off for about 20 mins after being at hive. They also all swarm over hive entrance when I go into hive .The new hive with queen is fine and no problem. My question is do I wait more weeks to see if there is a queen or requeen now in case there is no queen saving me weeks . If I do requeen and there is a queen in there will new queen be killed therefore wasting money which has happened to me before or bite the bullet and wait. I tried to do an inspection today to see if there was a queen but only removed three frames, acquired 5 stings so put everything back and retreated.Also if I keep feeding will they fill up comb with stores and therefore if there is a queen she will have nowhere to lay.
Im stuck and need advice.
Thanks

wait
stop feed

i had some carniolians just like that... but now almost nice and calm.

with the q+ hive you could try to divide the colony with a qe to find eggs keepin q in one box or the other for 3 days

at the price of petrol i am sure even good ol tractor man would agree that it would be best kept to fire up the oliver90 before switching over to tvo !
very best of luck... please tell us forumers how you get on... love a tale of a feisty hive !!!

Thanks. Forgot to say that neither hive has any eggs yet. New hive has juvenile/virgin queen. Im assuming she has had a mating flight as she has been there 2 1/2 weeks with great weather.

Fair assumption.

However a test frame will tell you if she is still in residence or got lost on that happy day.

PH

Thanks PH. Do you not need brood on the frame for a test frame? I have no brood on any frames. There was on original hive before swarm but as I couldnt inspect today due to stinging dont know state of play in original hive. Last week was when I was last in hive and last of brood was emerging.

Hi all. Had one hive approx 2 1/2 weeks ago. Had a swarm out of this hive which I caught along with queen. Rehoused in new hive. Now have two. Still no eggs in new hive so assume new queen will be producing brood soon.
Hold on, one of us is confused... !
Me or you? :)
The bees that you caught are now in the new hive?
They should have the old queen.
Why do you assume this is a new queen? (And what are you assuming happened to the old queen?)

What did the new hive have? A full set of brood frames with new foundation?
Have you been feeding the bees that you caught?
They are the ones that need food - and LOTS of it!

Original hive that swarm came from is really really aggresive. I dont know if there is a queen in there or not and was advised to leave alone for 4 weeks and feed which I have done so far. Went down today to check syrup levels and none left. Bees took down 4 kg 1:1 sugar syrup in 3 days.
The bees that stayed home and didn't swarm should not need feeding.
As you say later, they actually need some empty comb so their new Queen would have a place to lay some eggs.
Feeding isn't going to help them if your weather has actually been good.

While I was there and every time since swarm these bees just want to kill me. I cant go near them. Every time I do I get stung. stinging through suit, gauntlet canvas, even got stung in finger through my leather gloves. they are all over my arms and mesh veil and follow me 100 m to house. I cant take suit off for about 20 mins after being at hive.
They sound very feisty!
Might well be queenless ...
You haven't told us anything about Queen Cells you have seen, or what you've done about them and when.

It could be other things. Leather gloves carry sting pheromones, so the smell of old stings could be winding them up. Same goes for the suit and veil. A good wash is called for after every stinging session (if not before).
Something you might try for the gloves (apart from cheapie disposable vinyl gloves over them) is the odd drop of oil of cloves to perfume them. Conventionally dropped onto a bit of cloth (thereafter kept in a jamjar or somesuch) and the gloves wiped with the cloth to make "dentists hands".

I even wonder if the lot from the new hive might have been robbing their old hive - especially since you have mentioned feeding the original hive but not mentioned feeding the swarm. The swarm bees could be passive (and not brooding) because they are starving. And their attempts at robbing would certainly get the other hive very agitated.
Reducing the entrance on the bad girls hive should make it easier for them to defend - improving their security improves their temper.
And feeding the swarm would reduce their need to go out robbing.

... I tried to do an inspection today to see if there was a queen but only removed three frames, acquired 5 stings so put everything back and retreated. ...
And what did you see on those frames?
I wonder if an "inspection cloth" might help keep the bees quieter?

The bees you caught (the swarm) should have the old queen.
And, in good weather, with plenty food, she should resume laying almost as soon as there is a bit of comb for her to use.
Feeding her troops will help them to build new comb on the foundation. Lots of it and quickly. So Queenie can get to work promptly.
Once she is going, then you have the prospect of a test frame for the spawn of the devil to play with.

Hi Thanks fo your indepth reply.

Q "They should have the old queen.
Why do you assume this is a new queen? (And what are you assuming happened to the old queen?)"

A The old queen was marked so has she been superseded or is this a cast swarm?

Q "What did the new hive have? A full set of brood frames with new foundation?
Have you been feeding the bees that you caught?
They are the ones that need food - and LOTS of it! "

A Yes and they have been getting fed 1:1 sugar syrup

Q Might well be queenless ...
You haven't told us anything about Queen Cells you have seen, or what you've done about them and when.

A There were about 20 queen cells on original hive that swarmed. I was advised to clear all but a couple which I have done.

I will stop feeding original and keep feeding new. In new hive they have drawn out comb, there is capped honey or Tate and Lyle!! and pollen in comb but no eggs or larvae yet which is another reason I assumed it was a new or virgin queen.
Is it best I concentrate on new hive until I get brood as it seems to be getting along fine and leave devil hive till then when if there is a queen she might have restored order or do I requeen now?

Thanks again for replies.

Latest posts

Back