Ambrosia syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antshrike69

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hey all

This is my second winter with bees and I have two colonies which are both flying in the recent mild weather and bringing in pollen.

The hives do feel a little light despite this, and I plan to have a quick check on the next mild day. I gave them some ambrosia syrup last autumn to top up their stores and have some left. If they do need feeding now, is it ok to use this? I read that syrup is best avoided in winter, but is this advice the same for ambrosia too? given that it doesn't need as much work to be accessible to the bees?

Thanks in advance - this is a big learning curve this beekeeping!

Hey all

This is my second winter with bees and I have two colonies which are both flying in the recent mild weather and bringing in pollen.

The hives do feel a little light despite this, and I plan to have a quick check on the next mild day. I gave them some ambrosia syrup last autumn to top up their stores and have some left. If they do need feeding now, is it ok to use this? I read that syrup is best avoided in winter, but is this advice the same for ambrosia too? given that it doesn't need as much work to be accessible to the bees?

Thanks in advance - this is a big learning curve this beekeeping!

syrup is syrup, no matter who makes it. I would say to stick with the fondant

Back