Am I a bad beekeeper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Although I'm in my fourth year of beekeeping I still have 'imposter syndrome' and that I'm not really much good at it. My prime reason to keep bees is, well, to keep bees. The honey is a bonus and if they pollinate my fruit trees (they don't, bumbles do that) that's a bonus but the fact that I am trying to preserve a piece of wildlife is what keeps me going.

I have five hives and am not going to increase that so if they swarm then so be it. I have had one already this year but since my interest is in the bees themselves I'm not overly concerned as I live in a rural area and the bees will probably find somewhere in the woodlands.

I do wonder if I'm a bad beekeeper though as my inspections are limited to smelling the hive (it can tell you a lot) then checking for eggs, larvae and brood and also space for them so they are less likely to swarm. The inspections are often cursory especially at this time of the year as there are so many bees in the hives and I often only take out a couple of sample frames to see what's going on. Adding supers at the right time is more of a priority for me. I treat for varroa regardless of evidence in August with apivar and at Christmas with OA trickling and I take my honey in July making sure that I keep supers aside so each hive has part filled nadir for winter supplies; one for each hive. In four winters I haven't lost a colony. I like to let the bees look after themselves. Many folk will say I should be doing this, or looking for that but I'm not sure this is always necessary or even desirable.

I think I do alright, but what do I know, I'm just a bad beekeeper. :judge:

Last edited:
You and many others. If we didn't have different ideals we would all be bee farmers. Diversity is good.
I have just written m last episode for the BBKA mag which covers this subject. Not out until end of June though!
E

I inspect my Nationals weekly at present, but the Warre and TBH ' s get a going through twice a year only - health inspection. I too keep bees for the bees, not through any " green" motives, they just fascinate me.

Great question!
I am not even sure I know of a definition of a bad beekeeper.
If you lived in a built up area and let your bees swarm I would say maybe you could argue that beekeeper was inconsiderate but bad?
If you dropped frames all the time full of bees maybe clumsy not not bad?

I suppose if you do things that are negative towards the bees you might be bad? Or ignoring AFB if you knew you had it.

Anyway I wouldn't say you were bad just you do things your way.

We don't take much honey, rarely feed, treat for disease, manage for swarms and inspect regularly and I'm very happy to still be labelled a "haver" rather than a "keeper" of bees.
As long as they are healthy and you aren't upsetting the neighbours, enjoy the hobby. :)

I help people who keep bees but have differing objectives..As long as they ensure the bees are in good health and not neglected when diseased, I doubt if the bees care .

One size does not fit all for beekeepers .. even those who live in a town centre and let them swarm year to year..
(I collected a swarm last year on a hot Sunday afternoon from a bollard outsiide our local Weatherspoons..Five years ago from the rear of a local charity shop 50 meters away..)

Although I'm in my fourth year of beekeeping I still have 'imposter syndrome' and that I'm not really much good at it. My prime reason to keep bees is, well, to keep bees. The honey is a bonus and if they pollinate my fruit trees (they don't, bumbles do that) that's a bonus but the fact that I am trying to preserve a piece of wildlife is what keeps me going.

I have five hives and am not going to increase that so if they swarm then so be it. I have had one already this year but since my interest is in the bees themselves I'm not overly concerned as I live in a rural area and the bees will probably find somewhere in the woodlands.

I do wonder if I'm a bad beekeeper though as my inspections are limited to smelling the hive (it can tell you a lot) then checking for eggs, larvae and brood and also space for them so they are less likely to swarm. The inspections are often cursory especially at this time of the year as there are so many bees in the hives and I often only take out a couple of sample frames to see what's going on. Adding supers at the right time is more of a priority for me. I treat for varroa regardless of evidence in August with apivar and at Christmas with OA trickling and I take my honey in July making sure that I keep supers aside so each hive has part filled nadir for winter supplies; one for each hive. In four winters I haven't lost a colony. I like to let the bees look after themselves. Many folk will say I should be doing this, or looking for that but I'm not sure this is always necessary or even desirable.

I think I do alright, but what do I know, I'm just a bad beekeeper. :judge:
Great post! I don't think you are a bad beekeeper. I am in a similar situation. I keep bees because I love them rather than for commercial gain. I am only in my 3rd year and I have a wish to maintain the two colonies I have by making sure they are healthy and have plenty of room for expansion so to minimise the swarm element. To get some honey for family and friends is a bonus for me.
I am not a farmer but bees are livestock and there is a responsibilty on me to maintain their health and well being. I also treat in the late summer for Varroa and perform a OA trickle at Christmas. I had a colony last year that I didn't think would make it but with feeding syrup and fondant, it did to my amazement. That was the ultimate prize for me.
As you say, others have an opinion as to what defines a beekeeper. However it's just an opinion ;)

I keep bees for interest first and honey last. By keeping them I make myself responsible for their well being and to keep them in a responsible manner, and to not be a pain to others.
I don't sell honey but ensure family and neighbours have a good year round supply of the best honey I've ever had!

We don't take much honey, rarely feed, treat for disease, manage for swarms and inspect regularly and I'm very happy to still be labelled a "haver" rather than a "keeper" of bees.
As long as they are healthy and you aren't upsetting the neighbours, enjoy the hobby. :)

For some of us it is our livelihood not a mere hobby.:calmdown:

Horses for courses really. I used to drive HGVs for a living before I retired and nothing drove me more up the wall than 'leisure drivers' just popping out for a day of driving around aimlessly, getting in my way. :driving:
I get your drift!!:winner1st::winner1st:
I had only Heavy 2.... Grandfathers rights, but still had to take the Ministry test and comply and pay for all the medicals .....

The torment for me then as now was the "White Van Drivers"... , but even worse are the Lycra appareled cyclists puffing around the Cornish lanes.

Collision with one who drove straight into the back of me up by the Cheesring yesterday!

He said I was a bad driver as he did not realise I had stopped to let a couple of sheep wander across the road!

Chons da

Horses for courses really. I used to drive HGVs for a living before I retired and nothing drove me more up the wall than 'leisure drivers' just popping out for a day of driving around aimlessly, getting in my way. :driving:

You should try navigating a 42 metre fast patrol boat from the Naval dockyard, along the Solent and up to Poole Town Quay on a bank holiday Monday!!

I get your drift!!:winner1st::winner1st:
I had only Heavy 2.... Grandfathers rights, but still had to take the Ministry test and comply and pay for all the medicals .....

The torment for me then as now was the "White Van Drivers"... , but even worse are the Lycra appareled cyclists puffing around the Cornish lanes.

Collision with one who drove straight into the back of me up by the Cheesring yesterday!

He said I was a bad driver as he did not realise I had stopped to let a couple of sheep wander across the road!

Chons da

Nothing worse than having a bicycle rammed up your cheesering

The majority of “those types” of cyclists do not obey and flout the law getting away with anything; being mostly untraceable due to no registration and do not pay road tax.
They are arrogant, dangerous, rude, & inconsiderate ramming their bikes into pedestrians, pushchairs, the elderly and animals alike.

They should have a mental health assessment before being allowed to purchase a bicycle.
Just speaking from personal experience.:eek:

Like the OP
We are definitely bad bee havers, but its only a mere hobby for us as well :)
With the added benefit of amazing honey, with some spare to sell.
And if the bees are healthy and well looked after, and don't bother anyone else stinging or swarming, is it such a big deal?

We re enjoying the learning curve.

This is such a refreshing post, l was thinking l was the only one who was a bee 'haver' rather than a bee 'keeper'! Not really a natural beekeeper nor a beginner, just someone who loves the little insects and wants to give them the best, (if short) life, possible. I did wonder previously, if l was on the wrong forum - glad to know l have fellow travellers.

Latest posts

Back