allotment honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi Q

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
To all you beeks who keep bees on allotments, what colour is your honey this year? Mine is very dark, can hardly see through the glass it's so dark. Honey from a hive a few miles away is a lot lighter, suspect it is mainly bramble and lime, the taste is lighter as well. I have extracted separately so I can have two types of honey to offer customers, hope they will be impressed!

I haven't extracted it yet, but it looks very dark under the capping indeed.

Our garden honey looked very dark when we extracted...and when first jarred - but when set was the usual set Devon honey colour...far lighter...no idea why. I am hoping when we move that my bees may forage on things that settle to runny honey rather than ultra solid :D

The first three supers I extracted this year was a dark honey and tasted like caramel.

I had one super of the same last year and as it was reasonably early I suspected Chestnut. It is perhaps the best honey I have had and fully intend entering a jar in the honey show.

Ive got bees on allotments. Their honey is alway very dark and strong to taste . It also has a lime taste to it yet my others bees tent to produce a lighter honey.

Is it due to the leeks on the compost heap....
:eek:

Latest posts

Back