All risk apiary insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Slater

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is about "all risk" insurance for apiaries (ie, insurance for damage caused by vandalism, fire theft etc, not public liability insurance or bee disease insurance).
This type of insurance was offered to all UK beekeepers very cheaply by Aston Lark and was recommended by the BBKA. Aston Lark have now discontinued this cover for individual beekeepers, but will consider applications from beekeeping associations and commercial beekeepers on a bespoke basis and for a considerably higher premium.
As treasurer of an association, I made an application some time ago, and am still to receive a quotation. It is now urgent. Has anyone received a quotation yet from Aston Lark, under the new system, or even taken out the new insurance, and if so what was the approximate premium? Or are you still waiting like me? I understand there is a backlog.

I had an indication of a premium of £140 against last years £12
Didn't bother with a quote
So I guess you are no longer insured? I don't care about my own apiary at home, but I am worried about getting insurance for the association apiary.

So I guess you are no longer insured? I don't care about my own apiary at home, but I am worried about getting insurance for the association apiary.

Tony,

As also a treasurer of an assocation I went through this a few weeks ago. BBKA Insurance withdrawn

The BBKA 'backed' scheme was pulled at fairly short notice. Aston Lark have been scrabbling around for something to replace it and have shoehorned us into a standard Hiscox small business policy. It is less than ideal, but beacuse of the lack of warning we either had to go with that or go without. Next year we will definitely be looking for better alternatives.

The chap you need to speak to at Aston Lark is:

David Hudson, BSC ACII
Associate Director
Commercial Manchester

T: 0161 8301281
M: 07966 197512
E: [email protected]
W: www.astonlark.com
A: 3 Parsonage, Manchester, M3 2HW

but be prepared to have to spend some time sorting things out. We ended up paying £158.09

Tony,

As also a treasurer of an assocation I went through this a few weeks ago. BBKA Insurance withdrawn

The BBKA 'backed' scheme was pulled at fairly short notice. Aston Lark have been scrabbling around for something to replace it and have shoehorned us into a standard Hiscox small business policy. It is less than ideal, but beacuse of the lack of warning we either had to go with that or go without. Next year we will definitely be looking for better alternatives.

David Hudson, BSC ACII
Associate Director
Commercial Manchester

but be prepared to have to spend some time sorting things out. We ended up paying £158.09
Many thanks. That is very useful. I think I'm playing catch up at the moment!

Try the NFU.

Tony,

David Hudson, BSC ACII
Associate Director
Commercial Manchester

Thanks for this. David Hudson is on holiday from tomorrow but is sorting me out tonight!

NFU are very good, ours also includes loss due to floods

We have had an initial quote from NFU of £400 to £600 which is too much for a local branch. They also insisted on including public liability insurance which we didn’t want.
I also found NFU expensive but the branch I dealt with seemed to know nothing about beekeeping and possible cover. My initial quote was over £700.

ours is included in the whole business insurance, PLI, vehicles etc but hives are specified along with the stock (bees) contained and loss of honey (income).
They certainly are not the cheapest, but the best cover available, it took around three months to sort out

We have gone with a tailored quote for our association with the NFU Mutual Morpeth office for just over £100 pa on a 5 year deal

Latest posts

Back