All my bees dead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a shame. Do you know why?

Hi Jallen,
So sorry to hear that you have lost them all. Certainly, there have not been many foraging opportunities this spring in the SE and the longer this weather carries on the more losses! You are not on your own - I know it does not help much. Let us know when you think you have worked out what the cause was. Get yourself on the swarm list.

As above well pissed off

I'm sorry to hear that too.

I checked the fondant on top of the crown board of mine on the weekend to make sure they were still taking it and am just keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first winter as a beekeeper! I only have the one colony, and am hoping to increase this year.

Very sorry Joe. I think that is really bad luck.

Yes bad luck.
Do your best to work out why it happened so at least you can take something positive out of it i.e. either the comfort of knowing it wasn't your fault or the consolation of learning a valuable lesson.

:iagree:
I'm sorry to hear that too.

I checked the fondant on top of the crown board of mine on the weekend to make sure they were still taking it and am just keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first winter as a beekeeper! I only have the one colony, and am hoping to increase this year.

This is an ongoing nightmare. I haven't got any bees yet, just the hive so far but if this continues it,might be wise to re think.

I was made redundant recently so wonder if now (well May really) is the time to buy a nuc.

Is this the usual recurring topic on here at this time of year or is it particularly bad this time?

Beauhawk - go for it!

The Forum consensus seems to be that this is particularly vile and long lasting winter.

I have 2 hives
- one from a nuc I got last May, which is proving very strong;
- one from a nuc sourced on July.

The latter went into winter a little small for my liking - and with fewer stores than I had hoped. Nevertheless, following Defra's advice, I did a very quick look earlier today. They were all over 3-4 frames, from top to bottom and with plenty of stores to hand. So, although this cold winter is not over yet, bees do survive!

It's a great craft, Beauhawk! Don't back off now.

Dusty

This is an ongoing nightmare. I haven't got any bees yet, just the hive so far but if this continues it,might be wise to re think.

I was made redundant recently so wonder if now (well May really) is the time to buy a nuc.

Is this the usual recurring topic on here at this time of year or is it particularly bad this time?

Get yourself on the swarm list otherwise you will not get a wink of sleep. In the winter it is deadouts in the summer it is swarmoffs. That's beekeeping. Still hoping for some honey!

Beekeeping is largely about keeping bees alive through winter and preventing them swarming in the summer. (Yes there is more to it, but those are pre-eminent necessary abilities.)

Don't start by buying a nuc.
Get a swarm for essentially nothing, see how they go, and budget for the possibility of re-queening (though you very probably won't have to).
Your local association will have a swarm list - get on it asap.

Beauhawk -I got my first nuc last summer and what a summer it turned out to be followed by this long cold winter, I've got everything crossed that the bees get through it, but I'm really pleased I got started - get your nuc we must be due a long hot summer. :nature-smiley-016:

Last edited:

Hi BH

This is not normal as far as I am concerned. I have overwintered bees for well over a decade with no issues previously. I have lost a hive this winter but they were doomed before winter started.

I don't remember this level of misery on this forum over the past 3 years.(Usually such a positive, happy place - ahem!)

Cazza

I would concur with the above, this is an exceptional winter in my experience. March/April is danger time coming out of winter, as has been said many times on this forum. I've already lost one of my 9, and two others are looking doubtful. What worries me most is that the long range forecast is today suggesting we could be looking at a sustained period of cold, perhaps up to a month. This could spell real trouble, not just for our supposedly cosseted hives, but the wild colonies. Of course there is also the knock on effect to consider. If there are serious losses due to this snap then fruit prices could be difficult later in the year. I have three large pear trees (I think) in bloom right next to my hives, very frustrating when the girls can't get on them.

Latest posts

Back