Air freshener for uniting.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also use a few drops of essential peppermint oil mixed with water lightly sprayed on both .

This method also works for introducing a new queen.

So i'm told

:music-smiley-008:

:iagree: One of our bee course tutors advocates this method.

I repeat - I said unnecessary use of chemicals

Since we are repeating ourselves - I said extract.

Definition: Chemical.
A substance with a distinct molecular composition that is produced by or used in a chemical process.

Definition: Natural Extract.
A naturally occuring substance removed from a carrier material without modification or contamination.

Individuals will determine whether they regard something as 'necessary/adding value' and will (as we have shown) disagree on 'necessary' until the cows come home, if indeed it is ethical to force the cows home in the first place.

essential peppermint oil...

"One of our bee course tutors advocates this method..."...

wtf is going on in today's beekeeping world? No wonder colonies are dying off - it's probably in protest to a whiff of Glade 'Summer Meadow' coming from next door.

A sheet of newspaper with a few holes made by a corner of your hive tool is 100% successful ..........bees can't read so either the daily mirror or daily telegraph will do!

I attended Stockport bka not to long ago and the speaker mentioned about using air freshener for uniting colonies. Unfortunately I didn't get to ask him anymore derail about this but has anyone else used this method before?

If what do you use and how much? It sounds interesting. He used it as he was a bee farmer so I guess allot quicker. The speaker was Mr Pearson from Cheshire.

It works a treat. Make up your own mind about alll the other stuff that has been thrown in.

Quick spray on the top bars of the bottom hive, tip up the one that will be going on top, quick spray on the bottom bars, quickly stick them together before the scent disperses. No fighting. Very easy.

Did not believe it myself at first until shown it in action by Andrew Scobbie in Scotland.

Pardon...what was that again.:leaving:

Just because a chemical is "A naturally occuring substance removed from a carrier material without modification or contamination." doesn't stop it being a chemical.

Unnecessary use is unnecessary use. Adding any essential oil to newsprint for uniting is unnecessary.

Has anybody thought through what impact these chemicals might have on the bees or are we not bothered?

I am going to ask what may seem a silly question but there is a lot of assuming in this thread

By air freshner are we discussing aerosol delivery?

PH

I am going to ask what may seem a silly question but there is a lot of assuming in this thread

By air freshner are we discussing aerosol delivery?

PH

Yes, ITLD's post said "spray", so I'm assuming we're talking about aerosol. Mmmm - butane, I'm sure the bees love that.

Just because a chemical is "A naturally occuring substance removed from a carrier material without modification or contamination." doesn't stop it being a chemical.

Unnecessary use is unnecessary use. Adding any essential oil to newsprint for uniting is unnecessary.

I'm in the clear then Bob,i just shake them into a box together,then put box into truck for a ride to next apairy...they unite lovely..and no newsprint to poison them even. Some i unite with multiple colonys, with the use of a a blower,that works well to.

I'm in the clear then Bob,i just shake them into a box together,then put box into truck for a ride to next apairy...they unite lovely..and no newsprint to poison them even. Some i unite with multiple colonys, with the use of a a blower,that works well to.

That's the spirit Pete - the simpler the better!

Wow I wasn't expecting such a response, I personally use the news paper method however I was wondering if anyone know about using air freshened to do this job.

Simply curious and I to agree I don't like the idea of spraying glade or similar into my hive.

It looks like I have my answer and that is most people don't and wouldn't use it.

Tidy
....and it's one of those little beekeeping pleasures, do it on a nice warm day with lot's of activity, and you can go down the next day and find barely a scrap of paper in sight.

essential peppermint oil...

"One of our bee course tutors advocates this method..."...

wtf is going on in today's beekeeping world? No wonder colonies are dying off - it's probably in protest to a whiff of Glade 'Summer Meadow' coming from next door.

A sheet of newspaper with a few holes made by a corner of your hive tool is 100% successful ..........bees can't read so either the daily mirror or daily telegraph will do!

This method of using peppermint oil i have never used, I herd it on a pod cast from Don the Fat Bee Man is USA. The Organically Managed beekeeping podcast

However it seems pretty good to me as it has no toxic chemicals in it.
Although Peppermint oil dose have chemicals in they are non toxic and non-irritant

The chemicals used in newspaper manufacture, including dyes, inks, bleach

cadmium
sulfur
petroleum
Chlorine
Copper Nitrate
Barium Nitrate
Copper Chloride
Lithium Chloride
Calcium Chloride
sodium hydroxide
sodium sulfide
Bleach
Strontium Nitrate

make of this what you will.:sifone:

Essential that you use the pink paper from the Financial Times.

Best results seem to be had from using the Mergers and Aquisitions pages. Bees busy reading the rules of the position that they find them selves in.

Have you used some Play Boy type magazine. It has pheromones included (readers swet)

Latest posts

Back