aggressive inspection - how to get it back together?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrekfeet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi bee peeps. went in for an inspection today, it's been a while since I've been in there. Bees were getting increasingly agitated, it is a bit muggy here today. I should have known better and put it back together. I pressed on, and then the stinging started. Very aggressive. I came away and left them for 20 minutes. Put some more layers under my beesuit, took some antihystamine! Went back to see if I could put the hive back together. They immediatly started to attack me and sting my suit.

So, I've walked away, I have a hive in pieces stacked at the side of the brood box with QE in place. Any tips on best way to get this hive back together?

First of all, either wash your suit or use a different one.

Other than that I reckon there is no easy way.

I think it's maximising your protection, including a dose of antihistamine, wearing those leather gloves you swore never to use, or washing up gloves.

Next, plan exactly what you need to do and in what order.
Get the smoker going really well.

Then, gather your courage, go in purposefully and focus on the tasks, ignoring the bees.
Use the smoker regularly.

It does work. You will be surprised at how well it goes.

Dusty

Nasty situation shrekfeet. If you have a good quality onesy bee-suit, trousers tucked into wellingtons, bee suit legs outside, hat under hood and thick gauntlet gloves then I see no alternative but to going in, smoke, and quickly reassemble boxes. Don't be tempted to do it after dark as I once did - disaster, bees were hugely enraged, I became covered in them, and was trapped inside my suit for ages.

Last edited:
I agree with dusty.
Lots of layers, no faffing, don't try to carefully not squash bees. Just go for it.
I would add.....
Pour yourself a large alcoholic drink and leave it in the kitchen for when you've finished.
Good luck

Have you got anyone near by who could assist for support? I do mean a beekeeper rather than just a passing stranger.

As long as they're not getting through the suit you'll be fine. Layers are your friend here.

A hat under the hood is a good idea though and a well lit smoker.

The first time i came in contact with a defensive hive i walked, now i sing to them every week lol

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks folks, Just got back from a run to clear my head. Damn bees. Seem to be nothing but trouble. Going to shower and then go out there with layers etc. Don't have time to wash and dry suit so just going to go for it. In and out as quick as I can. Ignoring the bees.

Then whisky

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice about not doing it after dark as that was exactly what I had planned to do.

Until later...

Thanks folks, Just got back from a run to clear my head. Damn bees. Seem to be nothing but trouble. Going to shower and then go out there with layers etc. Don't have time to wash and dry suit so just going to go for it. In and out as quick as I can. Ignoring the bees.
Then whisky
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice about not doing it after dark as that was exactly what I had planned to do.
Until later...

Brilliant shrekfeet!
Why haven't I thought of it before?!
I sold a dry suit suit on Ebay several years ago and now realise I should have kept it for apiary duties,lol.:bump:

Last edited:
Some headphones with Motorhead's Ace of Spades playing might put you in the right mood.
I'm with REDWOOD and singing to them. 'Reunited' goes down well when I'm putting the boxes back on ;)
Good luck.

Could you spray suit with something - similar to that used for uniting? to mask your smell and the stings smell?

phew, done. Had access to hay so lit two small piles right by the hive, masses of smoke. Left it a couple of minutes, all bees went inside. Dashed in and out in less than 30 seconds. They started to attack me but I beat a hasty retreat.

Now what do I do about inspecting them at a later date?

spraying the suit would have been a good idea. I have some scent masking spray that you use when trying to get a ewe to adopt an orphan lamb. Next time maybe

If they are all back together, leave them be and don't inspect. Just make sure they have enough stores and see what they are like next spring.
Good to see you made it in one piece.

Cover your suit in oil of cloves. Bees hate it.

spraying the suit would have been a good idea. I have some scent masking spray that you use when trying to get a ewe to adopt an orphan lamb. Next time maybe
Wouldn't be trying that around here!

Now what do I do about inspecting them at a later date?

If they are all back together, leave them be and don't inspect. Just make sure they have enough stores and see what they are like next spring.
:iagree:

Got a colony just like that, went for me the other day and I was just putting straps around the hive. Have to move them to the home apiary tomorrow for the winter.
Dreading nadiring the super before commencing Apiguard.

They were fine a month or so ago so I rekon it's just the time of year. Next time I'll beinspecting will be the spring

Being a mechanic you think after nearly 40 years of diesel I would be use to the smell of diesel but no I hate the stuff and makes me feel sick. roll on electric vehicles

I've got a colony that's turned quite nasty, it really hits your confidence doesn't it.

I did exactly what you did, layered up and just focused and got on with it. They have plenty of stores and a low varroa drop so other than a heft every now and again they are on their own till spring. Hopefully they'll be in a better mood by then. :calmdown:

Latest posts

Back