Aggression..why the change?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
There may be a reason(s), there may not be, but my colonies have become really quite aggressive this past week.

Ok, so one of them is surrounded by OSR (which I hear can make them tetchy), but the rest aren't. I couldn't even get into the brood chamber for the bees flying at my hands like iron filings to a magnet.

The weather was cloudy, but fair. No chance of rain and plenty of foragers and flying. I don't know how I'm going to check for swarm cells if this continues!!:ack2:

Maybe something on your gloves or suit,just a guess mind .

A sudden drop in temperature? They have enjoyed a real boost in the weather but (at least around here) a mid week drop in temperature might have dampened their spirits.

They were even stinging the smoker!!

I'll wash the suit and change the gloves in the hope of some better luck.

My bees are normally always fine with me. Occasionally a bit flighty at best, but I normally come away unstung!

Weird. And tonight after a beautiful *hot* day, I ventured over to the apiary and for some reason decided to inspect without gloves as the bees seemed so content. I brought extra caution to bear while manipulating the frames - just a little smoke, careful not to 'roll' them, extreme care and no sudden movements. I needn't have bothered; the bees were as gentle as they could be (it took a little while for me to settle with them exploring my hands). A rare pleasure (and yes, a litlle calculated risk involved).

Cherchez la reine...
Even if she's there, she might not be OK, might be feeling too crowded, or they might be working up to a swarm. Mine were homicidal last week a couple of days before swarming. I caught them and hived them, and they're now more or less back to how they were, i.e. no problem at all. NB I looked carefully for q cells, but never saw any.

Weird. And tonight after a beautiful *hot* day, I ventured over to the apiary and for some reason decided to inspect without gloves as the bees seemed so content. I brought extra caution to bear while manipulating the frames - just a little smoke, careful not to 'roll' them, extreme care and no sudden movements. I needn't have bothered; the bees were as gentle as they could be (it took a little while for me to settle with them exploring my hands). A rare pleasure (and yes, a litlle calculated risk involved).

I am envious! After a murderous summer last year, even though the bees are gentle this year, I wouldn't dare ....

Hi Margo. To be fair, I had practised a little. On Friday afternoon, I pulled up a chair and just watched (obviously suited and veiled). I had no gloves on (I don't usually bother unless working with the bees). As I was taking photographs, bees settled on my hands now and again. It was then that I figured that they meant no harm at all, so why should I shake them off? It became 'mind over matter' to resist the urge to move them. I'm sure that it is in our nature to repel any buzzing insect that settles on our skin. So, no shaking of wayward bees, no anxious bees, no alarm pheromone, no stings. While I 'tested' the theory later with my 'no gloves' approach (much to the amazement of the beekeeper's apprentice) I am in no doubt that a bad tempered colony would swiftly convey their discontent! Probably not advisable :)

Latest posts

Back