Afb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what exactly do they burn as I though the whole lot went up

what exactly do they burn as I though the whole lot went up

You can read about it here,it is a very good site to visit for imformation with regards notifiable diseases.........https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=159

Control
The control method for AFB is simple in the UK: all infected colonies are compulsorily destroyed. The first stage is to destroy the adult bees and brood combs by burning, then the hives and any appliances are sterilised by scorching with a blow lamp.

There is a section on the sterilisation of poly hives, ect, as well.

Me Too, I have seen pictures of them digging a hole and burning the hive and then covering it up

Do you have any of these pictures of burning whole hives by bee inspectors,were any of them poly hives,and how did they manage to burn any steel parts on the wooden ones,or were these bits removed and kept.

Do you have any of these pictures of burning whole hives by bee inspectors,were any of them poly hives,and how did they manage to burn any steel parts on the wooden ones,or were these bits removed and kept.
Sorry Hivemaker I don't know where I seen them It could of been a slide show, I will try and retrieve them tomorrow, Its good to know that your hive can be saved, a small consolation for the loss of your bees

Sorry Hivemaker I don't know where I seen them It could of been a slide show, I will try and retrieve them tomorrow, Its good to know that your hive can be saved, a small consolation for the loss of your bees

You can see some pictures and imformation of what they do on the Fera/beebase site.

I'm sure they would not mind burning your entire beehive if you wanted them to,but you would not get payed out for it on BDI insurance,and would cost you, if it was poly and had to be sent to an approved place for destruction.

Last edited:
Having done a bit of searching on the 'net the only burning hives I can find are in USA, Australia and New Zealand. You didn't see pictures from some of those countries did you?

New Zealand in particular seems to mention digging a hole and burning the hive in that.

You can see some pictures and imformation of what they do on the Fera/beebase site.

I'm sure they would not mind burning your entire beehive if you wanted them to,but you would not get payed out for it on BDI insurance,and would cost you, if it was poly and had to be sent to an approved place for destruction.

Thanks Hivemaker that has cleared up another blank space on beekeeping

Control
The control method for AFB is simple in the UK: all infected colonies are compulsorily destroyed. The first stage is to destroy the adult bees and brood combs by burning, then the hives and any appliances are sterilised by scorching with a blow lamp.

This is a picture i did see but a hive not in this country

This is a picture i did see but a hive not in this country

You could see pictures just like that in this country as well i rekon....when burning up piles of scrap hives.

It pays to be vigilant against AFB.

I lost my eight hives to AFB last August.

No idea where it came from however I would assume that my strong hives robbed out an infected colony somewhere nearby.

In New South Wales AFB is notifiable with compulsory destruction. You have the option to irradiate your hardware which is what I did. There is also a compensation scheme for registered beekeepers which helps offset the cost of irradiation.

You could see pictures just like that in this country as well i rekon....when burning up piles of scrap hives.

You could but that pic is from the teara.gov.nz site and the caption below it says

American foulbrood is the most serious bee disease in New Zealand, and strict measures are taken to identify it and stop it from spreading. The standard treatment is to burn the hive early in the morning or in the evening, when all the bees are inside.

You could but that pic is from the teara.gov.nz site and the caption below it says

Yes i saw that,and even more reason for beekeepers to be aware of the laws regards notifiable diseases in this country. Perhaps the idea of compulsory registration and training of all beekeepers would not be such a bad idea.

Yes i saw that,and even more reason for beekeepers to be aware of the laws regards notifiable diseases in this country. Perhaps the idea of compulsory registration and training of all beekeepers would not be such a bad idea.

:iagree: last year there was an outbreak of EFB in our area and our bee inspector checked my hives I S**t my self in case I was missing something but he was very happy with my apiary and my hygiene and after a lot of questions (testing me) he was happy with me more than my wife is lol

So why do the bee inspectors burn the whole hive pronto as soon as AFB is identified? AFB is a notifiable disease for a good reason - not for the fun of having a bonfire.

It is contagious of course, but doesn't spread as quickly as EFB. I was just trying to say that being vigilant helps - you can eliminate it before it spreads to all.

It is contagious of course, but doesn't spread as quickly as EFB. I was just trying to say that being vigilant helps - you can eliminate it before it spreads to all.

:iagree:
EFB also "hides" and reappears later ( a huge problem if you havent kept track of your supers or have made splits/nucs ect. )whereas with AFB if your bees have it, you should be able to see it.

Last summer the notification that EFB was near me was much quicker via this forum than via the Ministry!

Last summer the notification that EFB was near me was much quicker via this forum than via the Ministry!

Wonder why that does not surprise me,very efficient this forum at times,even if someone should happen to make a spelling mistake on the entire E BAY network, it would soon be brought to light by this forum.

Wonder why that does not surprise me,very efficient this forum at times,even if someone should happen to make a spelling mistake on the entire E BAY network, it would soon be brought to light by this forum.
:iagree: and an elk on top of my brood box

My father had AFB in his 3 WBC hives some 40 years ago. A pit was dug. Bees killed and a fire was held in the pit. The remains of the fire were then covered over with soil. The only parts remaining were scorched WBC lifts floor and roof. It's believed the disease came from bees in a derelict church tower.
Now there are very few feral colonies; it's beekeepers who will be harbouring the disease in most cases. Sloppy practices - when there is a known outbreak - such as leaving parts to be robbed - should result in the beekeeper undergoing serious chastisement.

Latest posts

Back