Afb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
10+
Hi all
WARNING !!!!
have just been notified by the NBU that AFB has been found within 3kms of (LEE) SE12

I have checked my hives today all seems ok

That is interesting. I have had notifications for 3 of my 4 apiaries and my friend has had for 2. I've been using a compass and marking the notifications on a map If it truly is only a 3k raduis of outbreak of notification and you are on Lee High Road, then I have the road identified. If not, they are alerting more than a 3K raidus, or there is more than 1 case of AFB.

There are a huge number of bees close to the epicentre of the outbreak. My nearest apiary is a mile from it. I have been worrying for some time about what would happen if we had an outbreak of AFB in London now there are a couple of beekeeprs on every street.

There are a huge number of bees close to the epicentre of the outbreak. My nearest apiary is a mile from it. I have been worrying for some time about what would happen if we had an outbreak of AFB in London now there are a couple of beekeeprs on every street.

Could be we are about to find out :eek:

My bees are less than a mile from a beekeeper and apiary that was badly hit by AFB three summers ago. No problems yet - doesn't mean that I'll always be free, but AFB isn't a hugely contagious disease.

G.

I am worrying about beekeepers who leave broken comb laying on the floor of their apiary and who clean their supers by just leaving them in a stack for all the local bees to rob clean. I am worrying about the beekeepers who feed their bees honey from the bought jar and not just honey from that hive, and I am worrying about the beekeepers who wear the same pair of dirty leather gloves from one year of the next and I'm worrying about the way the natural beekeepers harvest their comb so that my bees might get to their honey.

Perhaps I am worrying too much? Sigh.

These are all good things to worry about. Beekeepers are getting a fast education here on what NOT to do.

Wishing you all the best. I would take beetles over AFB any day.

I am worrying about beekeepers who leave broken comb laying on the floor of their apiary and who clean their supers by just leaving them in a stack for all the local bees to rob clean. I am worrying about the beekeepers who feed their bees honey from the bought jar and not just honey from that hive, and I am worrying about the beekeepers who wear the same pair of dirty leather gloves from one year of the next and I'm worrying about the way the natural beekeepers harvest their comb so that my bees might get to their honey.

Perhaps I am worrying too much? Sigh.

My nearest beekeeping neighbour left a couple of dead hives open to be robbed in the past few weeks, wears dirty leather gloves, leaves open feeders to be cleaned out by bees/wasps, dump hunks of comb in front of hives, but hopefully not that stupid as to feed bees from bought honey!

I don't do any of the things that Polyanwood fears (though my gauntlets are dirty, though stained, and I don't use them often) but it is worrying. I am about 10 miles as the bee flies from Lee.

My nearest beekeeping neighbour left a couple of dead hives open to be robbed in the past few weeks, wears dirty leather gloves, leaves open feeders to be cleaned out by bees/wasps, dump hunks of comb in front of hives, but hopefully not that stupid as to feed bees from bought honey!

Where is this lovely person, Suzi Q?

Likely far enough away from your location for it not to be a problem for you. However with AFB on the doorstep I will pluck up courage to point out to the beek that perhaps it would be a good idea to be more careful. It is difficult as a relatively new beekeeper to dictate to another who has been beekeeping for a lot longer. I don't have the 'authority' and have been 'squashed' on a number of occasions! The beek is lovely in all other respects.

Susi Q,

Is there a role here for the RBI?

Good husbandry is within their remit in these curcumstances (threat of AFB), they have the seniority and experience to make the point gently but firmly - and the authority to monitor compliance. And if the 'keeper takes offence, it would be with the inspector - who would care not a wit - rather than you.

A quiet confidential call to the RBI, I suggest.

Dusty.

Dusty, that's a thought, will keep that in mind.

Please keep the stats in mind.

Probably more chance of an accident in your car than your bees getting a notifiable disease.

I still drive. And keep my bees.

PH

Ooops. I've had two accidents in my driving career, neither fully my fault of course and I was at a standstill for one of them. Time for a notifiable disease then .....

It would be upsetting to find foulbrood, but it is worth looking to catch it early. Your one and only hive with AFB would be a disaster, but other situations caught early can be recoverable. Get the inspectors involved, as you are obliged to do, and they stand some kind of chance of finding the local source and dealing with it.

but AFB isn't a hugely contagious disease.
G.

So why do the bee inspectors burn the whole hive pronto as soon as AFB is identified? AFB is a notifiable disease for a good reason - not for the fun of having a bonfire.

My nearest beekeeping neighbour left a couple of dead hives open to be robbed in the past few weeks, wears dirty leather gloves, leaves open feeders to be cleaned out by bees/wasps, dump hunks of comb in front of hives
Not so unusual me thinks.
I know of 3 not far from me who have this approach- all been keeping bees for 20+ years. Think the bee inspectors are there to annoy their bees. Their bees usually die out each year and they replace them with local swarms.

Latest posts

Back