Aerated blocks for hive stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact Wickes say they can be used below DPC would indicate they would be ok but I would fork out the extra 15p and opt for their standard dense block.
There is quite a difference in weight. 7kg as opposed to 18kg. I have had a few back problems recently and I like anything that is light.

There is quite a difference in weight. 7kg as opposed to 18kg. I have had a few back problems recently and I like anything that is light.
I'd just use them. I can't see any reason not to.....

I think the lighter ones are more likely to weather due to frost and damp when in direct contact with the soil. At least that's what my local builders merchants have insinuated when I've bought some.
Pilates type exercises if 18kg is a deal breaker, a full super is not that much less.

Weight matters to me! These blocks have been a life saver and have worked well for some years, both in a single layer for single stands with legs and stacked in pairs or threes for timber rails for double/triple stands. I clear and level the ground, then lay them on sand with (sometimes) a little bit of cement mixed in.

Weight matters to me! These blocks have been a life saver and have worked well for some years, both in a single layer for single stands with legs and stacked in pairs or threes for timber rails for double/triple stands. I clear and level the ground, then lay them on sand with (sometimes) a little bit of cement mixed i
I should add that they break if you drop them, even on grass. So don't.
Thanks for your advice. I will stack them and use a rail.

We've had stacks of this type of block at the farm for years. The stacks have been reduced in number now, with various projects and some were used when the stands were extended and increased. Not seen signs of weather damage so far.

Thanks for your opinions. As Garry R points out the cost is low so not much to lose. They will be standing on a wooden floor and protected from the rain and sun. I would prefer metal stands but the cost is quite high.

I am thinking of using aerated blocks to support some of my hives. I wondering how well they will perform outside? Single 3.6N Aerated Block - 100mm | Wickes.co.uk
Most are/were made from aerated (foamed) fly ash and cement mix. They weren't intended to be used where they could suffer repeated wet/dry/freeze/thaw situations but by virtue of the trapped air had a low thermal conductivity so as an inner skin of a cavity wall they were ideal under the building regs at the time. If you can restrict water ingress to stop spalling in winter they will be ok for a while. Personally I'd use an aggregate block (Lytag) or a concrete type block. Versions of these are available with hollow centres to minimize weight. Handling aids (grabs) are available.

If you read the blurb in Wickes advert you will see that they are suitable for use below the damp proof course and in the reviews people are using them for external walls and raised beds ...and for shed bases. If they were falling apart with moisture ingress I think there would be some adverse comments. They are the same blocks used in construction of the Zest hive and he's not had issues with water ingress. Some ill-informed needless worrying I fear.

If you read the blurb in Wickes advert you will see that they are suitable for use below the damp proof course and in the reviews people are using them for external walls and raised beds ...and for shed bases. If they were falling apart with moisture ingress I think there would be some adverse comments. They are the same blocks used in construction of the Zest hive and he's not had issues with water ingress. Some ill-informed needless worrying I fear.
I agree; I've not had any problem with damp ingress over several years now.

I have been using them for a couple of years now I have had no problem. I always set them on a concrete slab which I level first.
This keeps them from sinking into the grounds and provides a solid base. They are fragile though so don't throw them around as I did it hit another block and broke it in half. Although I still use it in 2 pieces with no problem

I am thinking of using aerated blocks to support some of my hives. I wondering how well they will perform outside? Single 3.6N Aerated Block - 100mm | Wickes.co.uk
I have been using them for a couple of years now I have had no problem. I always set them on a concrete slab which I level first.
This keeps them from sinking into the grounds and provides a solid base. They are fragile though so don't throw them around as I did it hit another block and broke it in half. Although I still use it in 2 pieces with no problem

Latest posts

Back