advise on talk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice joke. wont work in ireland tho. wrong suppliers over here.
Sorry, naturally thought you where from wales being Newportbuzz, never mine the welsh are Irish who could not swim lol, sorry here I go again!!!!!, you could say whats the difference between a welsh bee and an Irish bee ?

Sorry, naturally thought you where from wales being Newportbuzz, never mine the welsh are Irish who could not swim lol, sorry here I go again!!!!!, you could say whats the difference between a welsh bee and an Irish bee ?

def put a smile on my face. you know you can get the ferry now tho dont you.

Sorry but the ferry from Swansea to cork has stopped running and I will have to go to Pembroke to catch it now but one day i will meet my Irish cousins and do a bit of fly fishing with them

We always extend ours with candle making, and a honey tasting competition where they can win a jar of honey. It's great for honey sales. We also take a spare hive to show the audience where the bees make the honey and where the queen lays the eggs etc. have got more gigs from the presentation so beware ! Good luck

someone videoed it so here it is in all its glory. don't laugh to much now.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AshhvuCf4Dc&feature=g-all-u[/ame]

My advice first and foremost is talk about what you know. You know beekeeping much more than (hopefully) anyone else in the audience.

Don't pretend to be anything you're not or to talk about anything you don't know. Assume that there will be a belligerent beekeeper or two in the audience who'll try to trip you up (I've done talks where exactly that has happened) and get one over you.

Lay out the ground rules at the beginning. if people can ask questions during the talk say so, if you'd rather take questions at the end tell them. It's your talk. If people can interrupt and ask questions, don't let those questions sidetrack the talk as a whole. This is a fine art in some respects, it can indicate where your talk could have been better, it can equally let someone's curiosity derail your whole talk. If it's relevant and pertinent, answer the question, but don't be afraid to say to someone "I'll get to that later" or "Ask me again at the end of the talk".

Don't be afraid to say "I don't know". That looks and sounds better than bull....ing your way through something.

If you lose your train of thought halfway through, again, tell people. There's nothing worse than someone stood there saying nothing getting more and more flustered. 99% of the audience will forgive you if you talk to them even if you're wandering around making excuses.

If you're going to talk against slides/powerpoint:

Rehearse your talk. Do it again. And again with people trying to put you off or ask questions.

Have a dry run if you can, the first time through a talk is always the worst and it never works out right, the second time generally turns out much better.

Absolutely know how to work your kit.

Know what to do when it still goes wrong. That video might be stunning, can you still talk when it doesn't work.

Be confident. Even if it's all going wrong, the projector is on fire, wee is running down your leg and your hands are shaking so much that you can't press the change slide button, talk to your audience and tell them something but preferably not that wee is running down your leg :)

Missed the actual video until now :rolleyes:

Thumbs up I reckon. Good talk, nice use of props. We can nitpick on a forum of beekeepers but I think it's a good talk.

good effort mate! public speaking can be a bit nerve-wracking, eh?

Hi Newportbuzz,

First of all, that was a really good talk. I think you pitched it at just the right level of detail and covered everything of interest.
You did a good job, mate.

As someone who does a fair amount of wittering in public, can I suggest a few things?

1) Stand in front of the table, just to one end of the table. Makes you more accessible and look less defensive.
2) Break your talk up a bit. "I'm going to say a bit about what's in a hive....... OK, that's inside a hive. So, let's move on to think about the bees inside. There are three types....."
3) Be a bit more active. Wear your suit! Looks the part, you can flip the hood up, put on gloves. Show them the smoker and what you put in it.
Even better, act out the waggle dance! you have room there. They'd love to see you make a fool of yourself!

But these are refinements. You did a good job.

Now, do it again!

Dusty

I did a talk with some schoolkids. What worked was asking them questions and engaging them rather than just standing there for 40 minutes droning on.
Afterwards I was told that the class was their 'difficult' one with lots of SEN children. (Special Educational Needs). The teacher said that the kids had responded really well and have asked me back!

I took in a frame of honey and foundation for them to hold plus some other bits. They tried some honey. And I wore a bee suit.

It all depends on the audience. A music festival lot may be just a little different to the WI.

ya a bit nerve wracking.
Was told it was for an hour up till about ten mins before so it got sorta rushed. didnt think i would be as nerve wracking as it was to be fair.

well done, mate. They say it gets easier but it never does, you just get better at faking it!
Eb

Back