advise on talk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi all.

i have been asked to give a talk to a crowd at a music festival about beekeeping.

i should have said no but i didnt so now i have to do it. any advise what to talk about . i expect the crowd to hopefully be small drunk and have no previous experiance.

Did a talk for the fist time a few weeks a go, there are many interesting bee facts on internet plus i keep it simple what each did, the fact that it is a mainly female society seems to suprise people. Good Luck

no pasties over here. well tescos have some but they arnt much good.

it will be completely up to me what i talk about and im just not to sure what path to follow i reckon it could stretch to 20 mins or so. but could just as likely be cancled with no one turning up.

Bring along your gear ..bee suit, smoker, bits of hive, a frame with/without wax.
If you have access to electricity power point if not print some photos of bee types i.e. queen, worker, drone.
Queen cells or play cups. Talk about the history of beekeeping; products of beekeeping; medicinal properties of propolis. Then there's honey and mead....The bees and the environment, the number of bees in a hive, the life cycle of bees. Stings and their properties i.e. used as a sort of beauty product.. I'll shut up now.

I usually, no, always, mention about lack of forage and ways to help, careful use of pesticides and only if needed and washing out honey jars. I also mention, as most people either dont seem to know or dont believe it, that bees only sting (the public) if harrassed, ie sitting on one, batting them away or if they get caught in their hair. I suggest shaking their head to move their hair around to give the bee a chance of getting way. Of course theres an awful lot about lots else that gets mentioned, depends on the crowd really.
In a controlled environment, ie classes in school, I find it helps to give them the chance to ask questions. 3 out of 4 classes last week asked questions, in the main sensible ones for 30 mins. I then told them about things they hadnt thought to ask about. all seemed happy, even the teachers. Beware though, generally you then get asked to talk somewhere else:.)

Last edited:
The folklore might go down well with that sort of crown - just don't constantly read from your notes with your nose down - eye-contact works. Worst 'talk' ever 1 hour talk from notes (no eye contact), handout word for word talk, told to read handout, repeated teh entire talk again from the notes - homework? Read and evaluate the handout...then he left...Yaaawn.

I start off with what ISN'T a honey bee- (sick of being called to 'bumble bee swarms!')
Little chat about Bumble nest, quantity, lifespan etc then go onto solitary bees, then wasps the what why and hows of them.

Then say- but I am really here to tell you about the most magical insect that I know of -- The Honey bee....
Difference of the 3 types in hive.
Life in hive,number of bees, jobs they do, why queen not boss, drones only for sex (gets a cheer) then say ok girls payback time- drones get kicked out, dumped, killed etc before winter- women rule ok...
Problems for bees- varroa, disease, weather
Swarms - how, why, please report.

Then how we can help the honey bee - plants that they can use, no pesticides- say why not. plant wild flowers- etc etc

Usually takes about 1 hour as I allow questions in between. If you do that have a memory jog list so you don't get sidetracked.
You will be fine- Joe Public is ignorant!!
Good luck

Bring along your gear ..bee suit, smoker, bits of hive, a frame with/without wax.
If you have access to electricity power point if not print some photos of bee types i.e. queen, worker, drone.
Queen cells or play cups. Talk about the history of beekeeping; products of beekeeping; medicinal properties of propolis. Then there's honey and mead....The bees and the environment, the number of bees in a hive, the life cycle of bees. Stings and their properties i.e. used as a sort of beauty product.. I'll shut up now.

:iagree:

We did an entire evening for the local WI, who funded a hive and nuc of bees a couple of years ago (we help look after it, they have a new beekeeper member) and it was very much along these lines.

Most people have never seen inside a hive before - label it all up and explain how it works (if nothing else, it helps you remember what you are going to talk about next - pick up a bit, talk about it, put it down, pick up the next bit!).

If you have them, take along a frame, a frame with foundation and a drawn frame - people are astounded that bees draw wax...

Take along a ball of propolis, a chunk of wax and some honey - most people have never seen these things in their raw state.

We let people handle the hive and kit, but at a festival, you might want to be a bit more careful - but do let people get close to the stuff you take - most people have never seen anything like this.

Finally, tell them how many bees there are in a colony in high summer - they won't beleive you, but it's a laugh watching their faces. :)

Some pointers:

1) Short. Keep it short. Leave everyone crying for more not begging for less.
2) There's a "News at Ten" technique about signposting. The idea is people like to know where they are being led, so tell them what you are going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you have told them. In TV Land that's "Tonight we feature A, B and C" then A, B, C do their thing, then there is a recap of "and tonight we learned that A does X, B does Y, and C does Z"
3) Don't get dragged into detail
4) Have a plan. What is the one thing you want them to know at the end? For example "this is a honeybee, this is a wasp, this is a bumblebee" Make sure that the message is said several times, it may sink in
5) Do something that captures the imagination. Use equipment. Give honey away (in very small amounts). Get them to do a waggle dance so they can see how it works. Prepare a UV picture of a flower to give a bee's eye view. It's all new to them.
6) Lace it with trivia.
7) Keep it short. And repeat key ideas.
8) Keep it short.

Waggle dance. No matter how many times you hear it, it never fails to amaze.

some brilaint material here. ill do up a bullet point list to keep me on track. thanks one and all.

i wont have acess to power so its just me and whatever i bring talking out loud. ive spoken to joe public tonnes of times but this is a bit more formal. me at the top them in the room. wanted to ask for the bit of advise to help make it nice and smooth.
once again thanks everyone. might get one of the fella who traped me into it to record it and ill post it up later on. should be good for a laugh

How about telling them the basics of a waggle dance & getting them to work out a waggle dance to the beer tent?

How about telling them the basics of a waggle dance & getting them to work out a waggle dance to the beer tent?

not sure i can get that across to them in 20 mins. besides this is west mayo we aint gunna get sun for them to aim by

Try this
A man was driving home from work and he run out of petrol and whilst he was sitting there a bee flew in through his car window and said to the man whats the matter the man replied I have run out of petrol, don't worry said the bee I will be back shortly and off the bee flew, a few minutes passed and the man saw a huge swarm of bees covering his car the bee flew back into the car and said to the man turn your ignition on and start your car the man did as the bee asked and started his car, the man said fantastic what did you use and the bee replied Bee Pee !
You might and you might not get a few laughs

Latest posts

Back