advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
can someone tell me how long it takes for a prime swarm queen to start laying again. In brood box with 3 drawn frames and some foundation

Often straight away, but usually within a day or so.
I have collected swarms that have eggs in comb drawn from the top of the cardboard box.

Last edited:
thanks. had it since thurs. bringing in stores but no sign of eggs.

yes sure it was. very large did not fit in poly nuc. will keep eye on it

Size is no indication. You can have a large cast, especially if the hive it came from was very strong to start with.
Let us know how it goes.

Size is no indication. You can have a large cast, especially if the hive it came from was very strong to start with.
Let us know how it goes.

:iagree: not all swarms come from a conventional bee hive could of come out of a huge colony from a chimney or roof etc I have seen several big swarm from a chimney in one season

yes sure it was. very large did not fit in poly nuc. will keep eye on it

:banghead:

as I keep telling SWMBO size has got nothing to do with it was it definitely a prime swarm (ie, are you sure the queen in the swarm was mated?!)

The definition of a Prime is one headed by a mated queen.
A cast is headed by a virgin. Perhaps "afterswarm" might be a better name.

Or often even bigger if from a large hive that has swarmed with a virgin queen, after losing their clipped queen on a previous attempt at swarming.

Back