advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I acquired a nuc in June, after a slow start they are beginning to thrive, have not seen the queen yet but lots of evidence that she is there, moved them in to a hive at beginning of July, now covering 7 frames with brood and stores, and started to draw out 8th frame on my inspection today found a queen cup, unsure of my next step should I destroy the cup or leave it alone
sorry about blurry pic

Harmless for now but keep watching.

I take it they have a super on top! Take the queen cell off for the moment but keep an eye open for others. It is not too late for swarms. What I would do in your position is add a super underneath the bb to make it brood and a half. This will give the queen a bit more room for now, in autumn they will fill both box's with stores. In spring remove the super, they should all have moved back up into the bb.
Please make your own decisions tho!

as they have not filled the bb would adding a super be advisable at this time of the year

any jelly or an egg? its whats inside that matters
Very very true.

And if it is only one (look very carefully) then supercedure is a definite possibility.

as they have not filled the bb would adding a super be advisable at this time of the year
Most likely they are congested because they have stores frames 'bookending' the brood nest and preventing its expansion.
IF the Q runs out of cells to lay in, they would swarm. Believe me!

Without drawn comb to throw at them, the best you can do is try to push them to draw new foundation, to make more space usable.
Two ways to do that
- old favourite, put foundation frame between the last frame with brood and the next (stores) frame. You could do this on both sides of the brood nest. Don't "split the brood" with foundation - surround it with foundation. Just one frame at a time, each side, maximum. Another one in there once they have started using the last one.
- put a shallow box underneath the brood. They might draw it, they might not. But at least you are giving them the opportunity. And getting newness (which the bees dislike) knocked out of the box.

Your bees are going to have a tough winter if they swarm.
First thing, don't let them want to. (Even temporarily stealing almost all of their stores would help them to realise that swarming would be a bad idea in that situation.) /// Some would advise extracting some stores frames from the brood box to get empty comb to put alongside the brood nest. Not everyone has that capability, and if you've been feeding syrup, its going to be syrup not honey that is extracted. Oh, and STOP feeding immediately, if you are!
Then make sure you are prepared with a spare hive (of some sort) and frames so that you could do a pre-emptive Artificial Swarm -- IF it comes down to it. An AS and then recombine wouldn't be a disaster. Losing a swarm at this point would be a bit of a problem for a small colony.

Last edited:
hi enrico
just that there is a lot on posts on having to much space in bb for a small colony, will check queen cup tomorrow to check wether there is egg or jelly , suppose there is no harm in adding a super as a precaution. thanks for everyones advice

7 frames of brood is plenty large enough to cope. My gut reaction is that they need more room, the only other nagging thought is supercedure, but ..... She seems to be a strong queen now so the former seems more likely, in my opinion you can do no harm by adding super under brood, however a swarm will be more harmful!
Bet of luck
E

once I have created more space should I destroy the qc or just leave it alone

once I have created more space should I destroy the qc or just leave it alone

I don't think you've reported what is inside the thing!

If nothing or an egg, knock it down.

If it is "charged" (wet with royal jelly round a larva), then they may prove determined.
Never knock down a QC until you know that a colony is queenright, and ideally you also see eggs and young (tiny) larvae.

If they are Q+, then sure, knock it down, but be sure to inspect in a few days (3 or 4 - not more) to see whether there is another flush of cells -- in which case you should be straight into Artificial Swarm mode.
It should do no harm (and could discourage swarming) to remove the vast majority of their stores. You can give the frames back later. Leaving them one full frame of stores should be plenty.

It'd be good to review the Welsh Queen Cell booklet (although it doesn't deal with 'brood blocking'.
www.wbka.com/pdf/a012queencells.pdf

ok I know what swarming looks like 5 to 8 qc bottom or edge, no eggs in the hive.

i know what supercedure looks like 3 to 7 cells mostly centres

but what is a single qc sealed in 7 days on the bottom edge of just one frame with eggs in the rest of the hive?
does seem to match a swarm and it doesnt even look like a convincing supercedure....
we removed some stores and stuck a super on and left it to "develop" or not

Last edited:
Back