Advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Hi all, I am after a bit of advice. I was called out yesterday to a house that have bees in the roof of their garage/annex.

I have attached a couple of photos that I took of where they are and to be honest I am not sure they are worth the bother because it will require a bit of work to take the roof/ceiling apart, plus they seem to be coming out of several entrances along the length of the roof so we aren’t sure where they actually are in the roof.

The owner says they arrived only a couple of days ago so if she is right they shouldn’t have moved all their furniture in yet so could possibly be smoked out.

The other consideration is that the roofing material may be asbestos even though she said it wasn’t, I wouldn’t be sure.

Do you think it’s worth getting someone with more experience to take a look or shall I say they aren’t worth the hassle and tell her to get someone to destroy them?

She does want rid of them because she is allergic!

so could possibly be smoked out.

Are you adequately insured? Chemical repellent might work (benzaldehyde might be an option) but after last week's episode, I for one will be ultra cautious with any smoker - even if the chance of it being attributed to me was slight). Not that I wasn't always very careful - I was!

RAB

I don't think they are scouts, she said there were 40 at least in the room before she opened the windows and a steady stream going in and out throughout the day yesterday.

I am defo not insured apart from basic BBKA insurance and don't want to do any smoking or building work and the thought of chemical repellent is way beyond anything I know about.

Shall I just tell her its beyond me and refer her to local pest control?

bait hive(s) on the roof pronto.

Good idea! Will try that and in the mean time I have been told about a fellow beekeeper in our association that is also a builder. He may even get a job out of it because she said she wants to do the annex up and if someone started taking it apart that may give her the inclination to get it done.

Thanks for the advice people - as always very very helpful x

if it is scouts and you catch a swarm when it comes the homeowner will think you're imbued with special powers. next year you'll let loads of calls from friends and neighbours asking for the bee whisperer whenever they find a bee.

asbestos roofing so try smoking out with bait hive first then if not take ceiling down from inside and remove. If you want the bee's that is

Another tricky one!

Another call for an awkward nest!!

Just got these photos of a nest in a roof. They have gotta go because the building is being renovated.

Any tips/suggestions/advice welcome.

I believe that i am allowed to take it all apart because all the rotten wood is going.

The owner does not want to destroy them though.

I am going to see them tomorrow lunch time.

Cheers
T x

Latest posts

Back