Advice on starting out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smith.james0

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have been looking a hives and types of hives as well as prices etc all week. I am a newbe to beekeeping so I require everything, looking at starter kits the prices between websites are pritty much the same, just the description on some sites is better than others. I have been looking at

bees-online.co.uk/view.asp?ID=1119

and

beechwoodbees.co.uk/beginners-starter-beekeeping-kit.html

Are these any good and is there any better sites I could be looking at?

James

auction at your local association in spring for decent and cheaper second hand stuff?

Wouldn't worry greatly about honey extraction in your first year unless the colonies you get are either quite big or prolific.

Keeps expenditure a tad lower then!

Hi, My first hive was a tho*res Bees on a budget, this was cheap and a good hive to start with, because you had to make up the hive, frames etc, the smoker that came with it I still use although the bee half suit you may want to get a full one. You get the whole kit and won't need anything else until your one hive becomes 2 in the very near future. Good luck with it all.
regards
Steven

PS. Don't get second hand stuff, if you are starting out you don't want any problems that you can get with older equipment, some won't fit, the edges on the boxes will be worn and there will be reason that it's on sale. Buyer beware!
Steven

James
Th**nes have an on;ine sale at the moment - if you can cope with flat pack hives that is!, their second quality kit is very good and well worth the money.
Ma** Mores may still have some kit left on their sales pages as well
excuse the cryptic nomenclature - it's de rigeur on here in fact if I'd put the full name down some wouldn't recognise it!!

I have been looking a hives and types of hives as well as prices etc all week. I am a newbe to beekeeping so I require everything, looking at starter kits the prices between websites are pritty much the same, just the description on some sites is better than others. ...

You don't need to get a suit and smoker in the same package as a hive!
Wait until there's honey happening before you lay down money for a means of extracting it.

Make contact with your local association.
Apart from hearing plural opinions on different hive types, you'll also hear about (and get to see) suits from different suppliers.
Ask people to show you exactly what it is that they like or don't like.
A good (protective) suit will give you more confidence, which is particularly important at the beginning!

If you want to go with a 'standard' National, and don't mind (or perhaps even enjoy) the prospect of assembling everything from accurately pre-cut wooden parts, then the Th0rne Bees on a Budget hive does seem to have a very good reputation.
Its also 'complete'. And in the UK, mainstream.
But you'll always need a few more spare bits, and a second hive before long (2 colonies are more sustainable - resilient to our mistakes, apart from anything else.)

There's a lot more support on here than in most associations for the 'modern' (25 year old) concept of plastic hives. The higher insulation performance should be better for the bees.
Less (or zero) assembly is required and should be cost-competitive.

I'd advise against a first purchase being second-hand, especially at any sort of auction. Everyone else will be able to put a more accurate/realistic valuation on things than a trusting newb. Of course, if a very local keeper were to be changing his hive type (but why?) and s/he were prepared to stand by what s/he sold you, then it might be different. But mainly, the impression I have is that continuing beekeepers seem to only sell off things that they have been forced to grudgingly admit (and then only to themselves) were mistakes of one sort or another.

:iagree: (with Itma)

Local associations are a great source of contacts, advice and demonstrations. Even if you don't get on with the committee. They are also likely to be the best and cheapest source of bees whether that is a swarm or someone's surplus split. Some also stock some of those bits and pieces you need in a hurry like a spare hive tool or a few frames. And many have extractors to borrow or hire.

Lots start with a Thornes BOAB. I did. Gives a real feel of 'owning' your first hive if you can use a hammer. Other bits and pieces, see what and how other people use them.

I too go with the Th**** recommendations. All my hives are their flat pack bees on a budget hives. The assembly instructions supplied are also now very good.

They have just started their on line sale, and you can pick up some bargains. Yes the stuff is "seconds" but last year 49 out of 50 frames were perfectly serviceable. I always wait for this and place an order for all my bits and pieces as carriage is free for orders over £100. Might be as well to make contact with your local assoc first and see which is the commonest hive they use, as it is easier when you first start to be in step with that.

Th**** service is also excellent. A slight problem with their website yesterday caused a very small hiccup with my order. I emailed them tonight and had a reply ( after office hours) telling me the problem was corrected. Gill also said they are redesigning their website!!

In my opinion you can do better than the all in one starter kits by buying just what you want carefully. The kits all contain bits I would never use.

My advice would be to go with th0rnes BOAB for your first hive/suit/ etc. once you get a bit of experience and make contacts at your beekeeping course you can find the best place to buy. If you're confident buying parts separately, spend your money on cedar or poly brood box, roof and floor, a framed queen excluder and save money on your supers. Make yourself a stand from milk crate / breeze blocks/ joinery skills and start collecting cardboard packaging/pine cones for your smoker. Get yourself a good book, Ron brown/ted hooper/Clive debruyn and enjoy. And don't forget us- tell us how you get on. Be warned - I'm sure all of us on here will agree it's addictive but worth it.
Eb

And if you change your mind/hive whatever, there's usually no shortage of takers for your second-hand stuff!
Eb

Latest posts

Back