Advertising not allowed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit confused by this thread....

I think it may be four posts over three seasons, all from a 'business'(?), advertising honey for sale or the same supplier advertising their presence on the forum. No big deal - looks like Admin has the poster by the scruff of the neck.....and about to drop him/her over the parapet.

Possibly find their company by 'goggling' the user name, if you are really that interested.

I'm not.

Regards, RAB

Clear as mud!

Well i'm glad that admin knows whats occuring?? Me - i'm off to have a recount of my braincells!

FB

(maybe it's just too early.........)

Clear as mud!

(maybe it's just too early.........)

'Tis always the same with censorship systems. People have a vague idea that something isn't right, but when they try to write a rule about the "something" they can't pin it down properly. Here for example it is wicked to write "Thornes", and I expect that will turn up as Th**??*ns or something.
However you would have to be a non-beekeeping Martian to not know the real name so why not just use it?

We live in a world where we all indulge in commerce and economics, and to deny its existence is not necessarily beneficial.

Steve

'Tis always the same with censorship systems. People have a vague idea that something isn't right, but when they try to write a rule about the "something" they can't pin it down properly. Here for example it is wicked to write "Th**nes", and I expect that will turn up as Th**??*ns or something.
However you would have to be a non-beekeeping Martian to not know the real name so why not just use it?

We live in a world where we all indulge in commerce and economics, and to deny its existence is not necessarily beneficial.

Steve

:iagree: - though no one wants blatant advertising on the forum

As admin of another forum it really isn't that simple........ We receive some 2-300 applications for membership every day, generated by "spambots"
(for chapter and verse, Google "Xrumer" and follow your nose), which are all part of the present "let's fool Google" way of doing business......
I'll try to explain - Google searchbots constantly trawl the internet, and catalogue what they find - the main object of businesses on the 'net is to be "top of the list" in Google, so they will go to extraordinary lengths to post their company name on various forums (each one "bumps the rating up"). It ranges from "one man bands" doing some relatively straightforward spam posting to the automated "Xrumer" operations. If you obfuscate a company name, it doesn't stop a human working out who it is, but it stuffs the "fiddle Google" spam.
Absolutely nothing to do with "censorship", everything to do with keeping a forum free of people taking advantage........
It can get to the point of being something rather sinister - recently several sites were bombarded with spam from an Indian company marketing a deeply dangerous, long banned in the west "icide" - they'd post an "article" referring to it's "safety" as regards bees in the hope that the searchbots would pick it up, and if anyone Googled the chemical name, they'd find favourable reports..........
The same technique is used worldwide, and there are armies of people paid peanuts to do it in "third world countries", known as the "50 cent army" as that's what they're paid............
So that's why forum admins tend to have sense of humour failure over all shades of spam - they spend a great deal of wasted time keeping their forum spam free - I tend to apply the duck test - "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands" - slightest hint of "duckness" and there's a large mushroom cloud as another spammer gets nuked!

So that's why forum admins tend to have sense of humour failure over all shades of spam

:iagree:

I dont take criticism to well from members in regards to spam,unless they run their own forum and understand the work thats involved in keeping a board clean for members.

I spend more time on spam management per evening than I do in answering members questions in regard to "how do I use a forum feature ect".

The only way to keep on top of spam is to have a zero tolerance policy.

Sorry didn't read the rules. We were more interested in other bee keepers coming along to sell their old / unused stuff. If people missed the auction at Hempstead in Gloucester we have nothing locally until April next year. Sorry

Sorry didn't read the rules.

Doesn't help a lot does it? The real spammer wanting to stay on the forum would say that.

I looked back at your previous posting. Nothing there except advertising your wares, each year.

Admin is right in being suspicious, in fact more than suspicious. I was; still am.

No offence but that is really rude. I am not a spammer at all, just because I may read and not reply to things does not give you the right to be so judgemental.
Can you see the amount of posts I have read?
Can you hear the discsussions I have had with other bee keepers who are freinds of ours regarding topics on here?
Have you seen me using some of the advise given on the forum?
Have you heard me warning people I know when there have been thefts or other important information has been on here?
I am teacher, wife and carer for 2 elderly relatives and don't have lots of time on my hands like you to be replying to every thread I read. If I say I am sorry then I am. It is not a word that I use lightly. If people have misused the word 'sorry' towards you before then you need to deal with it but as the saying goes do not judge a book by its cover! Your suspicions are misplaced.

Oooooops? Again?

Admin - would it be prudent to place your recent (26th June? ish) message regarding forum etiquette in the main section?

How about a zappy title - BEE NICE?

Regards

Fred

'Tis always the same with censorship systems. People have a vague idea that something isn't right, but when they try to write a rule about the "something" they can't pin it down properly. Here for example it is wicked to write "Th**nes", and I expect that will turn up as Th**??*ns or something.

Steve

Rules are rules and rules beckon to be broken, when times are right, words in part are forms of indirect violence towards those rules, but are allowed to suggest away most freely making said rulings defunct.

Why indeed not use forms of advertising for responsible bussiness especially local based and native.

Those making such rules yet buying items made in Asian eyes or using forein labour goods in detriment to our own peoples well being, tread guilty in defence of making any said rulings in English eyes.

Live and let the whole live, not half way, not doing so shows ones own insecurities.

Fry, I take it that is a question towards myself, to which the answer is no.

But a man for my own working day, a student of life who likes to do as much as he can for himself in a pretty selfish world, who also likes to share and help those who want to help themselves, which is a rare commodity today.

If anything I am reciprocation.

Latest posts

Back