Additives in fondant and icing-sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of the basics that I've read is not to use icing sugar to make syrup because it contains anti-caking agents (amongst other things). But it is widely recommended as the component in a "sugar-roll" (not such a sweet delicacy as it sounds); this is a contradiction.

Someone on Facebook just posted images of the ingredients list for some commercial icing sugar and fondant they have sourced; "E"-numbers are included.

Is it wise to be using this sort of product for our bees?

Choose the icing sugar carefully - Tate and Lyle is free from the dodgy anticaking agents

One of the basics that I've read is not to use icing sugar to make syrup because it contains anti-caking agents (amongst other things). But it is widely recommended as the component in a "sugar-roll" (not such a sweet delicacy as it sounds); this is a contradiction.

Someone on Facebook just posted images of the ingredients list for some commercial icing sugar and fondant they have sourced; "E"-numbers are included.

Is it wise to be using this sort of product for our bees?
There is fondant and there's fondant icing - big difference, the fondant icing, stuff you buy off the shelf in Tesco etc has additives. Plain baker's fondant is made up of powdered sugar, water and a drop of glucose syrup - that's it. And remember even pure natural ingredients have 'E' numbers
I tend to take anything posted on facebook (especially facebook beekeeping) with a big pinch of salt.

There is fondant and there's fondant icing - big difference, the fondant icing, stuff you buy off the shelf in Tesco etc has additives. Plain baker's fondant is made up of powdered sugar, water and a drop of glucose syrup - that's it. And remember even pure natural ingredients have 'E' numbers
I tend to take anything posted on facebook (especially facebook beekeeping) with a big pinch of salt.
My God do people actually take this face book seriously???!!!:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014:LOL:

Latest posts

Back