Sugar dusting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... but I know my bees will die. Finman says so ... :leaving:

Erm, they all shall die! as do we! In defence of Finman I see much merit in making life more simple, you might call it blanket micro management as opposed to micro management, either one works! that's why bees is bootiful peeple:serenade:[/QUOTE]

They are your bees. not mine. Do as you like. My Ego will not suffer for your bees.

Erm, they all shall die! as do we! In defence of Finman I see much merit in making life more simple, you might call it blanket micro management as opposed to micro management, either one works! that's why bees is bootiful peeple:serenade:

Actually - at the risk of wasting more words as HM's blue pencil fodder - I'll just put a few things straight.

1. I don't COUNT mites on the inspection board daily - I used to but the drop is so low (and consistently so) that my records graphically over the last few years have shown very little but a straight line - daily drops from all my hives - being only one or two mites - some days none at all. There have been occasions where there have been 'spikes' on some hives with the most drop I ever saw being 47 in a day. I was a bit worried at that (last season) and I was ready to treat that hive (nervously twitching with my hand on the OA) but it rapidly dropped down to its normal level where it has remained ever since.

2. So these days it tends to be a look at the inspection boards every two or three days, a quick clean off (they are dry correx - not greased) and off we go again. There are mites in the hives but not excessive amounts. There is a 75mm drop from the mesh floor to the inspection board and with regular cleaning I don't get problems with wax moths - it's also interesting to see what debris is coming down as well as a look for any dead varroa. I do watch bees on the landing boards and through the clear crownboards and you can tell a lot by just knowing your colonies and seeing what they are up to.

3. I have done four sugar rolls this season - March, May, July and September. I took bees from the brood frames and in all cases there was at most one mite and generally none at all. I've done alcohol washes in the past but these only yielded the same results and killed the bees so I just stick to sugar rolls now - the bees don't seem to mind too much.

4. I don't spend an inordinate amount of time 'counting mites' - with six hives, two allotments, a large dog, large garden, woodturning, a wife and a full time job there is not the time available. With one or two hives more was possible but all that I discovered was that my bees seemed to be coping with the level of varroa in the hives, they are healthy (never seen a sign of any brood disease, DWV etc.) and I got a honey crop of over 30lbs per hive from the two strongest colonies. In my area most beekeepers are reporting lower average yields than that this year (and some none at all) so I'm happy with what they have produced.

Despite Finnie's comments I'm not a 'let alone' beekeeper - I'm prepared to treat if the colonies look as though the mites are getting the upper hand but, at present, they're not. So ... treatment free they are going to be again. :sunning:[/QUOTE]

They are your bees. not mine.

I have had mites since year 1982. I know them very well what they do.

I get good yields. 80-100 kg per hive . Best hives 170 kg. Mite treating is essential. Not counting.

Just laugh on this all, but check first medicatiuon.

This honey does not come with "Do Nothing Style", DNS.

( PS: I burned my long hives 50 years ago)

-

Last edited:
Once the pollen starts coming in and they start brood rearing (i.e. Late March/Early April onwards - depending on when the willows flower in your area)

Usually start brooding during January here, pollen from hazel, gorse, etc, but weather permitting pollen is available all through the winter, and some even have a small area of brood right through the winter.

Usually start brooding during January here, pollen from hazel, gorse, etc, but weather permitting pollen is available all through the winter, and some even have a small area of brood right through the winter.

You have an idyllic location HM. In Bedfordshire it was late March before the willows bloomed. It was stinking cold and wet then too.

....creeping into the apiary at midnight with my 12volt 2000 Ah battery ...

Creeping along on an electric forklift?

You would certainly be creeping along if you were taking one that size - it would weigh well over half a tonne and likely even a tonne, if a lead/acid battery!!!

I discovered was that my bees seemed to be coping with the level of varroa in the hives, they are healthy (never seen a sign of any brood disease, DWV etc.) and I got a honey crop of over 30lbs per hive from the two strongest colonies. In my area most beekeepers are reporting lower average yields than that this year (and some none at all) so I'm happy with what they have produced.

I had a 5 hive unit beside of summer rape field. The hives are really sick. All diseases what you can identyfy.
But they all brought over 200 lbs/ honey, and they went into winter in 2 Langstroth boxes.
One ought to have 3 boxes for winter, but I joined the third box with a nuc.

I treated the hives with oxalic trickling at the end of September. They had 30 metres to the rape field. the field was about 6 hectares. Behing hives there was fireweed, alsike, heather, centaurea, thistles , field bean and many more.

That best hive unit was 17 km far away from my cottage. Why? - Splended pastures.

Amen.

Last edited:
They had 30 metres to the rape field. the field was about 6 hectares. Behing hives there was fireweed, alsike, heather, centaurea, thistles , field bean and many more.

This is why you get such fantastic yields Finman. Your bees don't need to fly to forage. They walk to it! not worthy:icon_204-2:

This is why you get such fantastic yields Finman. Your bees don't need to fly to forage. They walk to it! not worthy:icon_204-2:
that is quite near the truth

But I passed quite many rape field to my destiny, because site had very good variety of other yield plants.

2. So these days it tends to be a look at the inspection boards every two or three days,

Finman
I thought you had to travel 100kg to visit your hives?
You are clearly not very Eco friendly burning up all that petroleum !

He cycles!:icon_204-2:

Yeah.... I searched from google, what an ordinary Tamar Valley inhabitant means with cycling?

Picture: Native Cycling à la Tamar Valley . Citius, altius, longius

r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Idea has been stolen from Finland. Cross-country skiing in the picture.

tumblr_muphtugGW81rew20wo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back