Adding syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all my bees are bringing in lots of pollen, is it worth giving them a light syrup to help them build up brood thank all for your help

From Thursday, where I live, the temperature isn't due to get above 11C for 10 days or so. As such I would still be using fondant. But syrup would probably be fine too.

As to the question of whether your bees need feeding at all, that's another thing - they may well do - depends how much food they have now of course.

Mine appear to be bringing in Nectar as well as pollen ... do the bees actually NEED feeding now ... just wonder whether feeding now is not actually doing them a service ? If they are starving - pehaps some fondant but there is so much forage about in the South of England I can't see starvation as an issue .. the Midlands will be a little behind the Costa del Fareham but not that much.

They still have some stores and a block of fondant. It was more to encourage brood build up than keep them alive
Well .... see above ... there appears to be an innate desire to feed bees just about all the year round in some quarters ... if they have got this far they really should not neeed feeding now ...

It was more to encourage brood build up than keep them alive
just wonder whether feeding now is not actually doing them a service ?
there appears to be an innate desire to feed bees just about all the year round in some quarters ...

It's the BBKA mantra the obligatory spring 'stimulative feeding' before then going ahead and 'shook swarming' the beejeesus out of them.
It must be something to do with their mandatory target of a low average crop figure for the end of year stats. :rolleyes:

Hi all my bees are bringing in lots of pollen, is it worth giving them a light syrup to help them build up brood thank all for your help
No. Simple. I'm in the West Midlands too so...................................................

No. Simple. I'm in the West Midlands too so...................................................
I agree, I'm only feeding syrup to colonys that are going to the osr.
Any of the other colonys that feel light are still being fed fondant but not huge amounts only kgs at a time now.
Even at home there has been nectar coming in small amounts up on tut hill

Question. Do you live out in the sticks or near a town, village etc because if they are nearer to gardens etc they will have more of a chance for nectar forage at the mo.

In a
I agree, I'm only feeding syrup to colonys that are going to the osr.
Any of the other colonys that feel light are still being fed fondant but not huge amounts only kgs at a time now.
Even at home there has been nectar coming in small amounts up on tut hill

Question. Do you live out in the sticks or near a town, village etc because if they are nearer to gardens etc they will have more of a chance for nectar forage at the mo.
Very rural village with possibly 50 houses either side of the main road and in middle of arable farms. So.........................

In a

Very rural village with possibly 50 houses either side of the main road and in middle of arable farms. So.........................
In a

Plenty of early nectar sources then if they have stores to last a few weeks I wouldnt be feeding.

Take no notice of those that definitively say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

Feeding depends on how much stores they have. The age-old check, at inspections, is that of ‘Do they have sufficient stores to last until the next inspection?’ The thinking beekeeper will observe the weather in the area and make decisions as to when the next inspection might be.

Pointless feeding, at this time of the year, if they do not need it.

I am feeding fondant to:
my mini nucs which have minimal storage and stores.
All of my nucs which have minimal stores but lots of bees.
None of my main hives which have lots of stores.
One small hive which is poorly is being given 250ml of syrup. It has one frame of stores so enough food to last 2-3 weeks.

I am in the Northerly West Midlands and next week we are forecast to see temperatures peak at 5 to 6C.

Back