Adding pollen to fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Tip Top

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen pollen advertised ( for human consumption) on eBay. Would it be beneficial or detrimental to add a little of this pollen to the fondant I’ve been feeding to my bees? Any comments appreciated. Thank you.
Tom

I have seen pollen advertised ( for human consumption) on eBay. Would it be beneficial or detrimental to add a little of this pollen to the fondant I’ve been feeding to my bees? Any comments appreciated. Thank you.
Tom
And beware pollen from abroad carrying AFB. The only pollen you should give the bees is their own or pollen that’s been irradiated

I’m struggling to find where I've made a mistake in the sentence you quote.
My irradiation finished 2 years ago. I’ve no plans to repeat it.
I did mean where do you go to have pollen and poly beehives irradiated as some do. Perhaps someone knows. My radiation treatment finished 17 years ago, but it's all in the lap of the gods, but it is something I don't dwell on.

Very little pollen is collected in the UK for human (or bee) consumption therefore any pollen for sale is likely to be from overseas

Any commercial pollen containing product has ben irradiated to kill any foulbrood spores before it can be fed to colonies. I wouldn't recommend feeding your bees pollen from any other source than something like candipollene or your own stored and collected pollen.

Abelo do a well made pollen trap for about £45 but it needs a small lath around the base to make a normal wooden box sit comfortably on it as it is designed for their poly boxes that have an interlocking lip to their bases.

I collect pollen from my bees on a commercial basis for inclusion in honey and for sale to other beefarmers for their own retail sales and also as a standalone pollen in a jar for the health conscious.

It is a devil to clean and dry - I'm not at the levels yet to justify a pollen blower/dryer and the investment that would require.

KR

S

And beware pollen from abroad carrying AFB. The only pollen you should give the bees is their own or pollen that’s been irradiated
So, is it ok to add pollen to fondant or no? If so should it be pollen substitute, as little possibility of finding irradiated pollen in UK. I understand fondant products advertised as containing pollen actually contains so little as to make it more or less useless for the bees.

If looking to pollen substitute , it might be better, if they actually need it, to feed pollen patties. I am giving mine some pollen supplement to build them up ready for our, but if none is growing near me, I do not bother. Collect my own pollen, in my home made pollen trap.

If looking to pollen substitute , it might be better, if they actually need it, to feed pollen patties. I am giving mine some pollen supplement to build them up ready for our, but if none is growing near me, I do not bother. Collect my own pollen, in my home made pollen trap.
How do you actually feed your own pollen to the bees? Do you make it into some sort of patty?

So, is it ok to add pollen to fondant or no? If so should it be pollen substitute, as little possibility of finding irradiated pollen in UK. I understand fondant products advertised as containing pollen actually contains so little as to make it more or less useless for the bees.
I use Ultrabee

How do you actually feed your own pollen to the bees? Do you make it into some sort of patty?
Many different recipes. Finman has posted one on here. Try Google.
Mine is 2 parts soya flour. 1brewers yeast. 1 pollen. Mix to a stiff dough using strong syrup.
I make into cricket ball sized pieces and roll out into pancakes between sheets of grease proof. Place on top bars. Renew as needed ( usually about 2-3 weeks but can be very variable).

Being new to all this I read a great article that stated one of the issues that beekeepers overlook is that bees need both Protein (pollen) and Carbs (Fondant) like us to survive. Yet during the winter most only give fondant. I've been feeding mine with fondant and candipolline gold. I must say they love it and head for this before the plain fondant. They seem to be doing well and their numbers are high. So I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing and the article was worth reading.

Attachments

• C2754CB3-3401-4087-A5E6-C5C2699B58BF.jpeg
    C2754CB3-3401-4087-A5E6-C5C2699B58BF.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back