Adding pollen to fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being new to all this I read a great article that stated one of the issues that beekeepers overlook is that bees need both Protein (pollen) and Carbs (Fondant) like us to survive. Yet during the winter most only give fondant. I've been feeding mine with fondant and candipolline gold. I must say they love it and head for this before the plain fondant. They seem to be doing well and their numbers are high. So I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing and the article was worth reading.
Negligible pollen in candipolline though the bees do like it and it won't do any harm.
They need protein for brood rearing but in the winter they survive on carbs alone.

That's really interesting. Just shows you should read things closer. I've bought myself a pollen collector and I'm looking to make fondant for myself when I'm a bit more experience. Maybe in 20 years, still lots to learn. 🤪

I'm looking to make fondant for myself when I'm a bit more experience.
With a bit of experience you'll probably find it's a lot easier (and cheaper) just to buy a 12KG slab of bog standard baker's fondant from you friendly local baker, you may even find that with judicious autumn feeding, you won't need fondant at all :)

Latest posts

Back