Steady Weight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I had a quick weigh/peek today into my three hives. To my surprise all three were at precisely the same weight as they had been when I last weighed them at the start of January, shortly after putting a slab of fondant onto each. All three colonies seem busy with plenty of flying bees and yellow and orange pollen being taken in (crocusses and snowdrops?).

Is the steady weight of each just a lucky coincidence? Each colony appeared to have eaten a small proportion (20-30% of the fondant) but I'm guessing that if the hive weight is steady then they must somehow be bringing in enough to keep abreast of that consumption. Or am I missing something?

If they are bringing in stores enough to sustain the colony weight, should I take off the fondant or is it too early for that?

I'm seeing 2-4lb weight drop / month. My lot are pretty frugal. I don't push them with pollen patties. I let them expand at their own rate. You're further south from me so season is more advanced. In the past I've seen static weight week to week from mid March.

Pollen coming in, you're fine. I'd leave the fondant on until first inspection.

. . . .Ben

#edit You're in WBCs so much more insulation than my Nationals. All good.

If they are bringing in stores enough to sustain the colony weight, should I take off the fondant
doubt they're bringing in anything apart from pollen, they're not reducing stores as they're using the fondant as a ready supply and keeping their stores in reserve. Also, as brooding increases the wight of the brood compensates for the decrease of stores

Having given mine a quick check last week, there is nectar coming in as well as pollen, not a huge amount but still promising (I hope!)
At this time of year I suspect there is a "danger" that the bees (I don't necessarily mean yours) might be bringing in the spoils of robbing deadouts they have found on their travels.

At this time of year I suspect there is a "danger" that the bees (I don't necessarily mean yours) might be bringing in the spoils of robbing deadouts they have found on their travels.
Far more likely given time of year and temperatures.

Far more likely given time of year and temperatures.
Happened to me. lots of traffic at all the hives for the last month each time the weather allowed. Suddenly none in one. No bees apart from a few dead ones ....completely robbed out

At the moment I know I have 8 fully functioning, healthy hives, and I’m (fairly/very) sure they’re not robbing each other! i know of quite a few other beekeepers around…… so I’m not saying they’re not robbing somewhere else, but I do have some nectar producing flowers around and about.

[QUOTE="plain_hunt, post: 859196, member: … so I’m not saying they’re not robbing somewhere else, but I do have some nectar producing flowers around and about.
[/QUOTE]
You may have the flowers and I’ve got blackthorn and cherry out around me…. But have we had the temperatures to produce nectar or any sort of volume?

At the moment I know I have 8 fully functioning, healthy hives, and I’m (fairly/very) sure they’re not robbing each other! i know of quite a few other beekeepers around…… so I’m not saying they’re not robbing somewhere else, but I do have some nectar producing flowers around and about.

I think each beekeeper has a nuanced understanding of their own situation, and that all anyone else can do is talk about probabilities., Even if they are robbing when out and about, we can only hope that this helps rather than damages them and their stores, because there's nothing that we can do about it. :)

Robbing may be part of the explanation. In my little apiary a friend keeps a hive also. He has been somewhat negligent about feeding his and when I peeked into the hive last week it was clear that they had died. If they died of isolation starvation then it may be that whatever remained of any stores there has found its way into my hives which are adjacent.

Found this tucked away. 2017 weight change Jan to March. All weighed either side using luggage scales then summated (bees cold ways & often see a difference of 10-15lb between sides) One apiary with 3 colonies increased weight end Jan. Flow started 19th March.

Attachments

• weight changes 2016-17 graph.jpeg
    weight changes 2016-17 graph.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back