Adding a super this time of year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this is news to me. I have 2 national hives which I will have to decide in a months time whether to unite or overwinter seperately. Are you all saying that there is not enough room in the BB alone to get my bees through the winter?

There is room in one Nat BB but there's more head room for the natural cluster shape to form in the cold and for it to move over food or away from cold spots as required if you have a half as well.
The National BB is fine but a bit shallow by itself for Winter.

Much more potential to survive in a Brood and a half just over the Winter period.

I cannot abide working BB+half for Summer myself - too much work, takes too long and gets to my back!! :eek:

In the early part of the year you would make sure HM is in the BB and reintroduce QX.

If it were me and you have 2 good colonies I would not unite this side of Winter for if you've only one hive there not much scope if anything goes awry with one.

HTH :)

Well unfortunately neither have a laying queen. I am expecting a virgin queen to emerge from each this week. By the time she gets mated and starts to lay I don't know if each will have time to build up numbers.

Latest posts

Back