Adding a feeder to my top bar hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apart from a quick check on the bees, today was more about adding a feeder to the apiary hive
Top bar with room for a rapid feeder in the roof space, neat design. Does that space take insulation over winter?

I have to say, I do like your hive

thank you, always nice to get praise
I have to admit, owning a couple of nationals, and my homemade top bar hives, I much prefer working/inspecting the top bar ones, its so easy,relaxing
although I'm working on making a couple more on a similar design but very much "bees on a budget" as soon as I find more 6x1 in a skip, I'll deffo get a few more of these made

Thanks for A1 video - my first sight of the inside of a TBH & a bit more education under my belt. Notice you fiddled a bit liberating the bars. Wouldn't a little loop of fabric tacked onto the top of the bar help exctraction? Doubtless not that simple or an original observation but...

Thanks for A1 video - my first sight of the inside of a TBH & a bit more education under my belt. Notice you fiddled a bit liberating the bars. Wouldn't a little loop of fabric tacked onto the top of the bar help extraction? Doubtless not that simple or an original observation but...

both my tbh were made with tight fitting top bars, of course wood swells which I didn't account for, had I removed the follower board first it would have been a lot easier, but that also give bees a bigger open area, prising up only one bar, keeps them more docile, or so I've found so far

I use thin wooden strips as per Phil Chandler to increase the width of the top bars bearing honey. I just slip one of those out and it gives me a little room to unstick the other top bars before then sliding one or two out to give me room to inspect. I use several at one end to pack out any slack, since as you say the dimensions of the wood of the top bars tends to vary from time to time.

Back