Adding 2nd super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anybody have an opinion on when is the best time to add a second super. I know that the first should probably be full and capped first, but what if I only have a super with foundation only, does this make any difference? I assume even though its undrawn, it would still go under the full super.
Thanks.

It is early in the season I would use the full super & space my undrawn foundation every second one between the 2 supers , it will encourage them to start drawing the undrawn frames

I would just put the box of foundation on the existing super, but each to their own. Take a couple of drawn frames from your existing super to encourage them in to the new box.

Put the second super on too late and your bees may have made their mind up to swarm. Super a bit too early and you might end up with two half full supers as opposed to one full super. Better that than to have them swarm, me thinks.

agree with other posts but if its also full of bees, give em more room, while the weather is like this get the honey in

If you wait until your first super is capped and full you are leaving it more than a bit late... for this reason.

You want the bees to keep the brood area clear so as to maximise it for brood.

Bees will fill the brood nest with nectar which in turn will restrict the queen and they go aswarming.

When your first super is half full, (assuming you are working with foundation) add the 2nd, and take from the first one say three combs and replace with foundation. Work your supers moving drawn comb to the outsides and moving foundation to in between partially or fully drawn combs.

Beekeeping is about working with he bees. Helping them to help you. Team work really.

PH

I put my second super on two weeks ago when the first super was 2/3 full of honey, but not been caspped. It's is only now that they are starting to cap the first super while the second super is already half full of honey.

Latest posts

Back