Abelo Hive......deep or shallow roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Clearly, Abelo see the newer, shallow roof as an imorovement;. I haven't been able to compare with the deep roof, but logically, that seemes a better option for insulation, draughtproofing, better waterproofing and stability in wind. But what do I know. Has anyone got first hand experience to compare please?

Clearly, Abelo see the newer, shallow roof as an imorovement;. I haven't been able to compare with the deep roof, but logically, that seemes a better option for insulation, draughtproofing, better waterproofing and stability in wind. But what do I know. Has anyone got first hand experience to compare please?

In my opinion the new roof/crown board is a backward step and I wont be purchasing more.

No overhang. Water seems to run down the roof and work its way into the runners of the brood and supers.

The crownboard has a lip. Good for holding the roof however if you want to store a super, crownboard, feeder etc above it it doesn't work.

I do however like a the fact there is less silly ventilation holes and bits in the new crown board and the reinforced area around the strap is nice.

Old roof, new crown board perhaps?
Won't fit properly: the new roof and new crownboard work together: the roof has a recess in the rim that locks into a lip on the crownboard.

I use the old roof which is excellent as AM described, but never bought the pricy crownboard. Instead, I pay another £15 for an Ashforth feeder and leave it on all year, which saves labour and storage.

This gives me a crownboard, a liquid feeder, a fondant feeder in winter (upturn the box over the fondant), a box to clean scraps (open the little sliding door) and a split board. The last trick means that the top box now has no crownboard, so I use a 460mm thick polythene sheet which stays in the empty feeder until needed.

I bought mine (old version) from national bee supplies and not abelo, cheaper too.

Try metallised bubble insulation as a crown board... Cheap and equal to 5cm of poly
Managed to get hold of some 5mm perspex and cut it out to fit, hole in the middle for feeding with a small piece to cover it or a bit of mesh when not. Works just as well with the deep roof if you want to feed apipasta or fondant.

The nucs that I built in the early days all had a hole in the crownboard, covered with mesh. My mentor stuck tape over the top. Those that he did not see, the bees soon closed the mesh with propolis. Let the bees tell you.

Latest posts

Back