Abello queen introduction frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polomadh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have got my hands on a whole frame queen introduction cage, and I was intending to use it to replace a queen in a double brood aggressive hive. Something similar to this
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/national-hive/poly-hives-national/national-queen-cage-introducer/
Not to be confused with QE spaced device, the bees cannot get inside this cage.

I have a couple of questions to anyone that has practical experience of them as I can’t find any instructions..

With the nasty queen removed, should the trapped queen be on a frame with capped brood from the host hive, minus any housebees, or a frame including housebees from the donor nuc?

how long should the frame be kept sealed in the hive, before removing the cage, and what are the risks of doing this too soon/late?

I imagine it is from the donor hive with housebees for 2 days. Would doing anything broadly different make any difference!

Attachments

• 4353A68B-3F25-4B3F-A46D-97478406EAE6.png
    4353A68B-3F25-4B3F-A46D-97478406EAE6.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
You need to put a frame of emerging brood from the hive you are trying to introduce the queen into, leave her in there until the majority of the bees have emerged and she's laid it up so they are tending to her brood

Latest posts

Back