A task: you buy a 2.0 kg swarm. How many bees you have there

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer is "not as many as you wish it was, more than you think it is".

If there is no brood to cover, a given number of bees will occupy roughly twice as many combs as the same number of bees over brood.

A better question might be "how much honey and pollen does it take to produce 2 kg of bees?"

Sounds like a fun question.

Bees in a swarm can weight somewhere between 0.15 to 0.1g depending on how long after they have emerged from the hive (and how much you belive the figures quoted on the internet). So there will be between 13,333 to 20,000 bees (ignoring drones).
The only way to know for sure is to take some bees from the swarm and weigh some of them to determine the average weight. And while you are doing that you may as well assess the percentage of drones in the swarm and weigh as well to get an average weight for them and then work it out.
I'm thinking it's a trick question that can only be correctly answered by doing some measurements on the bees in the swarm that originally weighed 2kg's. Of course from the time of buying a swarm at 2kg and then doing the measuring the bees will metabolize honey and the swarm weight will be now be less than the original 2kgs.
Not an easy question to answer totally accurately.

Bees in a swarm can weight somewhere between 0.15 to 0.1g depending on how long after they have emerged from the hive (and how much you belive the figures quoted on the internet). So there will be between 13,333 to 20,000 bees (ignoring drones).
The only way to know for sure is to take some bees from the swarm and weigh some of them to determine the average weight. And while you are doing that you may as well assess the percentage of drones in the swarm and weigh as well to get an average weight for them and then work it out.
I'm thinking it's a trick question that can only be correctly answered by doing some measurements on the bees in the swarm that originally weighed 2kg's. Of course from the time of buying a swarm at 2kg and then doing the measuring the bees will metabolize honey and the swarm weight will be now be less than the original 2kgs.
An impossible question to answer accurately, finny was surely destroyed by the sauce when his fingers decided to play with the key board.:cool:

i had lived happily 50 years with fact, that 1 kg bees has 10 000 members.
When I bought an accurate balance and I weighed bees, I noticed that full bee weighs 170 mg, and not 100 mg. And swarm bees are full of honey. Normal worker has allways some honey in its belly, even when the bee emerges.

I intended to use weighing in bee breeding, but it was difficult to measure the size of the bee in different hives. When the queen has mated with 16 drones, there are many size of workers in one hive.

I studied from internet, what it tells about weigh of bees. As I told, there are many kind of information in internet. Hobby guys' and professionals' and researchers'.

And the answers. No one in forum knew the answer, and it tells that this fact does not harm beekeeping, is it this or that . Me too 4 years ago.

And somebody needs accurate answer from useless information, amen to that.

Last edited:

How are you going to use that "totally accurate" knowledge ?

One useless fact is the growth rate of worker.

Mostly it has been told that even by professionals, that a bee larva grows 1700 fold from egg to pupa. Actually this rate belongs to the queen larva and normal worker has 1000 fold.

Then during pupa stage a brood looses 30% from its weigh. Brood procudes to the hive as much heat as a resting bee.

Last edited:
That doesn't take into account the foundation size the bees were raised in. I used 4.9 foundation for 11 years and could easily tell my bees apart by their size. I'd guess my bees were lighter by weight about 20% less than bees raised in 5.4 foundation.

Latest posts

Back