A swarm has been sitting high in a tree above my apiary for 8 days now, despite good weather. Have they decided to stay?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A swarm has been sitting high in a tree above my apiary for 8 days now. Have they decided to stay?

• Yes, they are staying put and building comb, and won't move now.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, they will probably still relocate to a permanent home elsewhere

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No idea

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
What do people reckon? What's the longest you have seen a swarm bivouac for (apart from those which have been locked in place by rain etc)

Two this year have done that - the last one was 6days according to the caller.
They were beginning to drop.
I put some fondant in the transportation box which they were devouring when I housed them rather than climbing on to the frames as usual.
How much stores are left for a caste swarm to take ?
This lot were clearly starving.

Natural selection then kicks in I suppose.
These haven't got the opportunistic streak so nature abandons them.
So are we doing the species any good long term by nurturing them into next spring when the drones will redistribute the weakness?
Are we thinking like our bees?
Wasn't it Gordon Sumner who said-if you love someone let them go?

We had a large caste swarm from our hive at the top of a 35 to 40ft tree behind the house this year. They stayed for 8 days then finally left. They dropped and reclustered twice during that time (that I witnessed anyway). I was glad to see them finally go, we couldn't possibly reach them and everyday I worried they would be another day weaker when they finally went

What do people reckon? What's the longest you have seen a swarm bivouac for (apart from those which have been locked in place by rain etc)
A few years ago I was part of a group that collected an open air colony from a tree. They had built several combs interwoven with twigs and branches and had BIAS. We cut the crown out of the tree (due to be felled for building a new school extension) then housed the whole thing as a unit in a double 14 x 12 box. Transported to an apiary where another box with frames were placed on top and the colony had moved up into that by the following spring. So bees will do what bees will do.

I'll update at the end of the 7 day poll period. I assume we'd all agree that if they are still there then (15 days after swarming) then they are definitely staying

EDIT - just looked again - I think I see two combs of wax extending from under the swarm ....

Any chance of a rope as high up the tree as you can get it, and a good shake to drop them down, maybe with the help of a vehicle.
Though if they have built comb, probably too late.

UPDATE: Heard a roar, looked up, and off they were going. The swarm just decamped from the tree top and roared off eastwards. 13 days at least since they bivouacked on it.

They went straight past my swarm trap and I definitely heard one laugh as they did so.

So, there we go. 13 days.

Can you see combs? Interesting if they will still leave having built comb.

There are some scratty looking bits of wax hanging down, but not sure they would qualify as combs yet. Would have been a virgin queen. Maybe she got mated, and they decided it was time to find somewhere and settle down .....

There are some scratty looking bits of wax hanging down, but not sure they would qualify as combs yet. Would have been a virgin queen. Maybe she got mated, and they decided it was time to find somewhere and settle down .....
I think they often leave little bits of was. Supposedly the scent is why they often seem to pitch in the same place as previous swarms. Not great if always inaccessible!

Latest posts

Back