A Newbie's NUC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthos

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

As a raw beginner I decided to make a 5 Frame NUC.

Can someone with more experience than I have tell me whether I should make a Crown Board for the Nuc and should it have some form of ventilation and if so best place to create it.

Many thanks,in eager anticipation,

Rob.

Yes and No … it will need a grown board but doesn't need ventilation. I should qualify that … none of mine have ventilated crown boards, but most have mesh floors.

All hives need some form of cover. Historically it has been the crownboard, but polyhives have changed the scene a little - and some have either incorporated the top-most bee space into the roof or used a plastic membrane.

Making a 5 frame nuc may be a start, but is not a sensible way into beekeeping. Most usual is that the new beek starts with a 5 frame nucleus of bees which is installed in a full sized hive.

A nucleus hive is something that is used when other small colonies are produced for various reasons, so later in the development of the beekeeper and their skills.

I have found that nucs are more than happy with solid floors and a hole in the crown board is easily covered so as to cut down on extra equipment. The hole is not for ventilation, but for feeding.

A nuc may be of use to you if you happen upon a swarm. The first nuc I made last year was based on Hedgerow Pete's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltfKbCsrZM

I have made a second one this year because I heard of people using overwintered nucs for late swarms. The cover board in the new nuc is made of 6mm Polycarbonate so that I can see what's happening inside without opening it up - 6mm because that's what was being sold cheap on ebay. Above that I have 4mm of plywood, 100mm of celotex, 12mm of plywood and and aluminium cover to shed water. The side of the roof are 12mm plywood. I have incorporated a fixed open mesh floor covering 75% of the floor area. I have also incorporated a monitoring tray under the OMF so I can keep track of varroa. If there are still bees in it come October, I shall make a 75mm Celotex sleeve to keep the sides insulated - DerekM would be pleased!

On the front is a plastic entrance disc. One advantage of starting with something small, like a nuc, is it gets you thinking about beespace - everywhere - around side bars and top bars of frames, under lugs, etc and it might help you decide whether to go bottom beespace or top beespace when you buy or make a hive. I've gone for top beespace.

Here's a photo

CVB

I'm not an experienced beekeeper so my advice might be to take notice of competent beekeepers.

Last edited:
I have made a second one this year because I heard of people using overwintered nucs for late swarms. /QUOTE]

That's a really nice Nucleus CVB ... got the lot... OMF, Clear crownboard, Disc entrance, Varroa floor, bags of insulation and plans for more ...

Just one question ...does it have enough space in the roof for a feeder to fit in ?

P

[QUOTE
Just one question ...does it have enough space in the roof for a feeder to fit in ?

P

In a word - No - but I can put a rapid feeder on, surrounded by 100mm of celotex, in a national eke. This solution relies on there being no wind for the duration of the feed! Or, I could rely on the bees propolising everything together!

CVB

A nuc may be of use to you if you happen upon a swarm. The first nuc I made last year was based on Hedgerow Pete's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltfKbCsrZM

I have made a second one this year because I heard of people using overwintered nucs for late swarms. The cover board in the new nuc is made of 6mm Polycarbonate so that I can see what's happening inside without opening it up - 6mm because that's what was being sold cheap on ebay. Above that I have 4mm of plywood, 100mm of celotex, 12mm of plywood and and aluminium cover to shed water. The side of the roof are 12mm plywood. I have incorporated a fixed open mesh floor covering 75% of the floor area. I have also incorporated a monitoring tray under the OMF so I can keep track of varroa. If there are still bees in it come October, I shall make a 75mm Celotex sleeve to keep the sides insulated - DerekM would be pleased!

On the front is a plastic entrance disc. One advantage of starting with something small, like a nuc, is it gets you thinking about beespace - everywhere - around side bars and top bars of frames, under lugs, etc and it might help you decide whether to go bottom beespace or top beespace when you buy or make a hive. I've gone for top beespace.

Here's a photo

CVB

I'm not an experienced beekeeper so my advice might be to take notice of competent beekeepers.

I'd stick a slither of board on that milk crate, I bet you get a few going straight down rather than in, or you will do when it gets busy

I'd stick a slither of board on that milk crate, I bet you get a few going straight down rather than in, or you will do when it gets busy

Will do. Thanks for the tip. I have a fold-up base that will take three hives ready to go, in place of the milk crate but it will require a couple of slabs to be set horizontally into the ground and the girls have been a bit grumpy lately so I thought I'd leave them in peace for a day or two. Here's a picture.

CVB

Many thanks for all replies and suggestions
I built the nuc to give me some bee related activity during my 'Beginners Course' with my local bee group. I have since finished making a national hive and hope to use the nuc to transfer my bees to the national, in due course.
Thanks again, Rob.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I built the nuc to give me some bee related activity during my 'Beginners Course' with my local beekeeping group. I have now completed a National Hive with one super. I am hoping to use the nuc to transport my new bees the National hive.
Thanks again, Rob

Latest posts

Back