A little bit of magic ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
Plenty of rubbish posted on t'Internet - but every now and again, there's a gem. :) Here's one I was very skeptical of ...

Have just bought a full (and then some) set of drums for very silly money - the reason for the bargain being that the kit is rusty.

Here's a before shot of a cymbal stand:

2r477fp.jpg

And the same stand after wiping a small area with vinegar, and rubbing that area for just 2 seconds with some aluminium foil:

eao9ra.jpg

Gotta be the nearest thing to magic :) :)

LJ

that

Oxalic Acid is used for rust removal.

Sure - but simply removing the rust would leave a deeper pit. By using sacrificial aluminium the iron oxide is reduced back to elemental iron by this Redox reaction, thus minimising the depth of pitting through the chromium plate.

LJ

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure. Looks like you got yourself a bargain.

Craig

I've got to try that! Anyone got any idea how weather proof the finish would be? (I'm thinking chrome bumpers here...)

I've got to try that! Anyone got any idea how weather proof the finish would be? (I'm thinking chrome bumpers here...)

I wouldn't be too optimistic - the imperfections through the chrome layer are leaving steel (mostly iron of course) still exposed to direct contact with the air.

I'd recommend a post-treatment spray of WD40 for anything kept indoors (like drum bits) as a small coating enters each pit and tends to stay there.

So maybe for a chrome bumper, you could try applying a drying oil, then wiping the surplus off with a rag, leaving a trace of the oil behind in the pits ?

LJ

I wouldn't be too optimistic - the imperfections through the chrome layer are leaving steel (mostly iron of course) still exposed to direct contact with the air.

I'd recommend a post-treatment spray of WD40 for anything kept indoors (like drum bits) as a small coating enters each pit and tends to stay there.

So maybe for a chrome bumper, you could try applying a drying oil, then wiping the surplus off with a rag, leaving a trace of the oil behind in the pits ?

LJ

Duhhhh ... or use beeswax in a suitable solvent. "Wipe on, wipe off" (says Mr. Miyagi), leaving wax only in the pits.

Latest posts

Back