A little bit of information please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDENN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I am trying to find out if you can buy a hive just to put in the garden to help pollinate the plants. I don't want to keep bees for honey as yet, can you do this and if so what type of hive do I need to get?
Cheers
Mike

Why not think about a bumble bee hive? Honey bees do need attention - and if queenless can make your garden a no-go zone - Bummblies might be safer...

Thanks for the info, can you recommend a suitable style of hive and or supplier?

or find someone who would want to put a hive in your garden - look up your local association on the BBKA web site and get in touch

or if you do decide to go for bumbles, some plans

nestbox 1

nesttbox 2

nestbox 3

nestbox 4

although otoh this article implies bumble boxes don't work

If you're planning to buy bumble bees I think you'll find it's too late this year as the colonies are well into their season.

Bumble bees don't overwinter as colonies.

There are probably a lot of bumble bees suppliers, because they're often used by glasshouse strawberry growers. They don't pollinate quite as efficiently as honey bees, but tend not to sting, so are safer.

I've had lots of success over the last couple of years attracting bees to "nests" consisting of cut up lengths of large diameter garden cane (with a hollow core) packed together in a piece of old plastic drainpipe. I attach them with zip ties to drainpipes or trellis around the garden, preferably in full sun. Best of all place them above head height (to avoid them) on a warm south facing wall. In early/mid Spring these get lots of attention.

These cost pennies to make in contrast to the commercial ones. Perhaps less aesthetically pleasing, but the plastic pipe provides weather proofing whereas a couple of purchased ones have succumbed to the rain and damp.

If you're planning to buy bumble bees I think you'll find it's too late this year as the colonies are well into their season.

Bumble bees don't overwinter as colonies.

There are probably a lot of bumble bees suppliers, because they're often used by glasshouse strawberry growers. They don't pollinate quite as efficiently as honey bees, but tend not to sting, so are safer.

I would suggest putting bumble boxes in the garden and crossing fingers, thus helping local populations, rather than buying dutch bred ones. Old mouse nests are a favourite so try to simulate that (anyone an expert on mouse nests?)

I've had lots of success over the last couple of years attracting bees to "nests" consisting of cut up lengths of large diameter garden cane (with a hollow core) packed together in a piece of old plastic drainpipe. I attach them with zip ties to drainpipes or trellis around the garden, preferably in full sun. Best of all place them above head height (to avoid them) on a warm south facing wall. In early/mid Spring these get lots of attention.

These cost pennies to make in contrast to the commercial ones. Perhaps less aesthetically pleasing, but the plastic pipe provides weather proofing whereas a couple of purchased ones have succumbed to the rain and damp.

This would attract solitary bees eg masonry or carpenter bees, rather than bumbles. Also good for lacewings- useful pollinators, and good predators of aphids. Why not provide some of these and bumble boxes as well?

Latest posts

Back