A Few Rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Had Several hours on the rats yesterday cleaning the chicken shed out, it was a good day but by god it was warm, the pooches needed a breather every hour too cool of and likewise for us, and as usual i was a magnet for the red mite crawling all over my head, in my ears and up my nose, a couple of cold showers sorted them out, here is one picture of around 35, it would take too long too stick all the action shots up.

14068366_951243371651439_4786900702041502144_o_zpsbphsyqfy.jpg

Had Several hours on the rats yesterday cleaning the chicken shed out, it was a good day but by god it was warm, the pooches needed a breather every hour too cool of and likewise for us, and as usual i was a magnet for the red mite crawling all over my head, in my ears and up my nose, a couple of cold showers sorted them out, here is one picture of around 35, it would take too long too stick all the action shots up.

14068366_951243371651439_4786900702041502144_o_zpsbphsyqfy.jpg

Ah a blast from the past for me when we used to get monty the terrier and have ratting days under the chicken shed :)
Later on we used to have a steam boiler to steam sterilise the potting soil in the greenhouse. As there was a head of steam left after the fire was drawn we poked steam hose down the rat holes. Amazing how fast rats emerged from the other holes in their network. :nopity:

Ah a blast from the past for me when we used to get monty the terrier and have ratting days under the chicken shed :)
Later on we used to have a steam boiler to steam sterilise the potting soil in the greenhouse. As there was a head of steam left after the fire was drawn we poked steam hose down the rat holes. Amazing how fast rats emerged from the other holes in their network. :nopity:
One farm i used too shoot on i did something similar, it was a fat piece of hose though stuck on a old diesel landrovers exhaust pipe, that landy used too put a lot of black smoke out which got the rats moving fairly quick..:D

wow Millet think you missed a zero of that 35 !

One farm i used too shoot on i did something similar, it was a fat piece of hose though stuck on a old diesel landrovers exhaust pipe, that landy used too put a lot of black smoke out which got the rats moving fairly quick..:D

some lads use a 'recycled' chainsaw - bar and chain removed, hose over the exhaust and an over-rich oil mix - a nice smoky portable bit of kit

Dachsies can be pretty handy - was at the National game fair a few years ago and I only just stepped in on time to stop Swmbo's last little nutter killing a fox terrier! the owner (a teenage girl) was almost in tears apologising for her dog's behaviour until I pointed out to her that it was ours that had hers firmly by the windpipe!!

some lads use a 'recycled' chainsaw - bar and chain removed, hose over the exhaust and an over-rich oil mix - a nice smoky portable bit of kit

That is so old fashioned Jenny, exhausts from those 2 stoke engines melt rubber pipe for fun and even the newer oil burning smokers are not as good as a old terrier / fit dude/ and a good old spade. ;)

If you kill all the rats where will our next government come from ?

Ah......and I had you down as the little dachsie at the end of the lineup actually quite shocked at the numbers! What do you do with them?

I could have also taken the picture ;) , the dead rats get took away with all the dead chickens that are laid about.

Latest posts

Back