A bit of light reading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missing "U".
Very readable, some stuff is in the earlier books though.

I have a vague recollection that the version without the "u" may be the original English spelling and that "British English" spelling changed to add the "u" later. Certainly the Victorians "messed about" with British English a huge amount. Thankfully, IMNSHO, because it contributed a richness to the language that can make it immense fun to play with.

That said, there are people on both sides of the pond who are "messing about" with the language these days who just need a good slap: if I am invited to "reach out" to someone ever again, they may well find that I am indeed "reaching out", with a heavy, blunt instrument. A tuba, or euphonium perhaps.

James

I have a vague recollection that the version without the "u" may be the original English spelling and that "British English" spelling changed to add the "u" later. Certainly the Victorians "messed about" with British English a huge amount. Thankfully, IMNSHO, because it contributed a richness to the language that can make it immense fun to play with.
it's like the people who get their panties in a plait over using the word 'fall' for autumn. but until the late 1600s thsat's what we called autumn over here as well, so in actual fact it was the pilgrim fathers who brought it over from the mother country

Ideal to give to my daughter .. thanks.
twenty chapters, twenty subjects, fourteen or so pages for each, not at all dumbed down as some inferred on a thread on here a few months ago, fairly technical but nothing that would drown the reader in complex stuff, it actually condenses findings over a lifetime of research and picks up on new stuff as well as revisiting the old, highlighting a lot of interesting stuff.
Definitely not regurgitating stuff from his other books, after just a quick look I'm certain I made a wise purchase.
This kind of book would have been wonderful to read between watches on the boats.
I'll have to find an excuse to bump into Tom again now so he can sign it, seeing as I have a signed copy of every other book he's published!

I'll have to find an excuse to bump into Tom again now so he can sign it, seeing as I have a signed copy of every other book he's published!
Me too… perhaps we can send both of ours with return postage. Cheaper than sending myself 😉

That said, there are people on both sides of the pond who are "messing about" with the language these days who just need a good slap: if I am invited to "reach out" to someone ever again, they may well find that I am indeed "reaching out", with a heavy, blunt instrument. A tuba, or euphonium perhaps.

James
The only people who should be ‘reaching out’ are The Four Tops…

Latest posts

Back