4 or 5 treatments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, again. Just a quickie .......... Do I give my bees 4 or 5 oxalic acid treatments via my vaporizer?

Quickie answer: dunno, have you checked the mite drop?

Yes and I am ready to do no. 4 today and still getting around 50 mites per hive. Opps!! got that wrong!! Just checked and 2 hives with very few mites, 2 hives with around 100 and the rest with over 150 so I had better do this one and see how is goes.

Last edited:
3 times, 5 days apart. Check the drop. If it's still high-ish, treat once more. :)

Why doing sublimation at this time of the year? Usually done when brood minimal or non existent. December.. You should remove and dump brood prior to this treatment.
Apiguard at this time (but getting late for that albeit it has been very warm this year- delaying ).

Why doing sublimation at this time of the year? Usually done when brood minimal or non existent.

or done as a three/four dose cycle to cover the whole brood cycle (bit the same as apiguard really which also, only works on phoretic mites)
Personally I find this methodology of ripping open the broodnest and chucking out any brood especially in winter as peddled by Ratnieks and the like all more than a bit dubious.

Personally I find this methodology of ripping open the broodnest and chucking out any brood especially in winter as peddled by Ratnieks and the like all more than a bit dubious.
Especially as you have to make sure there is no or minimal brood and even the Proff said his hives were broodless at different times in the winter.So how do you know? You have to look in. OK to look in every week from now till Christmas in a laboratory but the rest of us don't live in one.....

Latest posts

Back