3d Drawing software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Someone asked a while back for a good software package for doing 3D drawing.

I'd like to recommend Sketch-up, which is now owned by Google.

If you look it up on Google there will be a link to download it.

It is free and once you get the hang of it, is great. There are loads of tutorials on YouTube too.
I've put together plans for Commercial nucs and full sized hives made from ply. After a bit of fiddling around on the computer, it has saved me hours of workshop time.

why not blender? is free as well.... best on ubuntu

I too would recommend Sketch-Up, it looks a bit of a toy when you first use it but it is very good. The only down side was that the free version only saves to it's own format and could not be imported to other packages, however Babel 3D will convert them for you.

The component and layer function is very useful.

Mike.

Correction, Sketchup is currently at version 8 and was sold to Trimble in July 2012.

The link to the product is still maintained at Google and the Sketchup team has transferred to Trimble.

I understand that the lack of export format issues inherent in the free version have been mitigated by third party plug ins developed by the committee. I don't know any details about them however as I have only just begun to look at Sketchup 8.

The Trimble website has a comprehensive set of YouTube tutorials and it's best to start at the beginning and enjoy!

If using Sketchup in a business, then the paid for version at around £270 or so will doubtless pay for itself in no time, but I think that there is more than enough to get to grips with in the free Community version to be going on with for a long while before learning about another boat load of presentation software etc.

Highly recommended.

Blender apparently has a very steep learning curve. One that I didn't crack when I had a look at it a few years ago.

By comparison Sketchup is a breeze. I don't know if any of the concepts might be transferable, so might look again at Blender in the future. Meanwhile Sketchup 8 it is and Babel 3D and friends go some way to adding some critical format export facilities that are otherwise only available in the pro (paid for) version.

Been using Sketch up with the pupils where i work for the last 3years. Once you have given them a quick 5min tutorial on how to use it they are addicted to it. we have designed a whole town using it adding cars and all sorts. its a great teaching tool to get kids interested in DT or Art. Even though i only teach gardening and cooking. I used it first to do a 3D design of the school and grounds for them to work with the gardening. I give them free rainge with it and they love to build shops, houses, parks all sorts, they even use it at home and bring stuff in to add to our town.

Yeah, Sketchup is great, but there is a learning curve. I found the best way to learn was to study YouTube videos. There is a good series that you will easily find if you search.

Been using Sketch up with the pupils where i work for the last 3years. Once you have given them a quick 5min tutorial on how to use it they are addicted to it. we have designed a whole town using it adding cars and all sorts. its a great teaching tool to get kids interested in DT or Art. Even though i only teach gardening and cooking. I used it first to do a 3D design of the school and grounds for them to work with the gardening. I give them free rainge with it and they love to build shops, houses, parks all sorts, they even use it at home and bring stuff in to add to our town.
There is a great game you can get for the I phone it's all about running a farm, my mate is a farmers son and he thinks it's just like the real thing

There is a great game you can get for the I phone it's all about running a farm, my mate is a farmers son and he thinks it's just like the real thing

:sos:

Whats an I phone. I just text and phone on mine cant access the internet or download apps. lol

:sos:

Whats an I phone. I just text and phone on mine cant access the internet or download apps. lol
I know what's on your Christmas list to santa :spy:
PS what do you think of the new smilies, don't like the admin power one :ban:

haha no thanks to an I phone would only want one if beebase had an app for putting info on for my hives. cant see any other use for one. have comp at home and comp at work. nice not to have one else where lol

re the new :)

as long as admin sticks to the :facts: and the :rules: he wont cause :ohthedrama: while being :judge: which means he wont abuse his :adminpower: which means we can all :calmdown: and not need to :hairpull: and the site will remain :winner1st:

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

:sorry: i went way :offtopic:

haha no thanks to an I phone would only want one if beebase had an app for putting info on for my hives. cant see any other use for one. have comp at home and comp at work. nice not to have one else where lol

as long as admin sticks to the :facts: and the :rules: he wont cause :ohthedrama: while being :judge: which means he wont abuse his :adminpower: which means we can all :calmdown: and not need to :hairpull: and the site will remain :winner1st:

not worthy

I thought phones were for calls. *shrugs*

If anyone has 3D plans they are proud of I am more than happy to put them up on my website for all to access.

PH

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of doing a 14x12 brood box, When I'v finished it do with it what you like

I thought phones were for calls. *shrugs*

If anyone has 3D plans they are proud of I am more than happy to put them up on my website for all to access.

PH

Can you link to your website, or is that not allowed?

i have a full national on stand and a 14 x12 all components are separate.

if any one wants a copy i could email it but if its going on a www i would like a credit or a link

That's clever Doug.

I hope either Admin or Hivemaker have seen it.

Yep, the nights are sure pulling in Doug. Obviously you are missing your contact with the bees already! :sorry:

Latest posts

Back