3 Hives Stolen Near Wells Somerset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to borrow a huge trailer from a farmer yesterday and he was telling me the same thing, theft from farms is rife, they have a huge gate across the road leading to the farm and he claimed that if it was not closed and locked by sunset then something would go missing, it is as though there is a group of people traveling around the farms looking for lax security and the opertunity to have a trailer or anything else away :cuss:

I was thinking more on the lines of 'rice grain' sized chips of the inert variety ie pro active when in the vicinity of a chip reader :).
No batteries to worry about.
Careful positioning would be required. Finding a location away from mating surfaces of boxes and away from areas to be scorched.
I did toy with the idea of utilising the queen (afterall if a working hive was stolen then so should the queen) Quickly dismissed that idea ,swarming, lost queen, easily replaced etc..

Keep thinking, something with turn up.(how about using Blunkets' bobbies to stand guard. The ones I see are usually paired off in boy and girl couples strolling along hand in hand :D:D

Pick up the 'phone, and inform the forces of darkness that there's going to be a Climate Change protest at your hive site, and in a trice there'll be fields full of bully-boys in full armour, photographic spy squads and hovering helichompers - job done!:)

We`ve had 2 barns broken into this year alone. They just cut the padlocks off. After insisting on a visit from the boys in blue we were advised to get bigger padlocks. When we asked them if they wanted the cut padlocks to check for fingerprints we were told that we watch to much American TV.
If for any reason I have to leave my digger or trailer out overnight I leave an old PAYG mobile hidden on it and use www.followus.co.uk as a tracker. It might be hard to hide a mobile phone on a bee hive though.

Latest posts

Back