24 hrs later after using air freshener .

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

Hi I was just wondering if it was normal to have dead bee's after a unite with air freshener .
30 in total.
Other than that everything looks fine , bee's flying today in-between showers..
Cheers
Mark.

Hi I was just wondering if it was normal to have dead bee's after a unite with air freshener .
30 in total.
Other than that everything looks fine , bee's flying today in-between showers..
Cheers
Mark.

My hives have hundreds of dead bees every day in summer.
edit: 6 week lifespan, hive contents (say ) 42,000 bees: Number of bees dead per week 7,000... 1,000 day

I'm following this with interest. Never united with air freshener, only newspaper. I guess there are always a few casualties.

30 is nothing if it all goes wrong you could have thousands, if uniting established hives I do prefer paper.

You will have returning flyers, they sometimes get killed by the incomers!
As stated, if it hadn't worked you would really know! As you know, I haven't had a failure yet.
E

Anyone made a youtube vid on the subject?

I have tins of air freshener at my disposal that i buy when shopping just for the the reason of uniting and to spray in my eyes when the odd troll appears on here..however i dare not use the stuff.i know it is supposed to be easier and quicker but i have yet to fail doing a unite using news paper..so as the saying goes if it aint broke do not try to fix it..as for dead bees i never see any or very little around the hives..maybe my undertakers are determined little devils.

Did an airfreshner unite on Sunday. My fiesty swarm from a while back, still aggressive after all this time. So united with a nuc with a buckfast queen. Protected the queen in a cage, then interleaved the nuc frames with the hive frames with lots of smoke and air-freshner. Will check in a few days to see what happened. But so far, air-freshner unite works well. Newspaper unite, not so well for me.

Try lemongrass essential oil diluted in water in a standard hand-held houseplant spray thingumybob.

I prefer my bees not to smell of Lynx Africa.

Where dead bees are seen add X factor times the actual mortality as bees
are clearly overloaded in carrying away the dead.
As for aerosol use around a beehive?
Belongs in that "Whotdaphark" category of sofa mounted honeybee
manipulators.
Pure liquid nitrogen being an exception.

Bill

Last edited:
Reminds me of that Alan Partridge scene when he's conversing with the Geordie caretaker.
"I'm sorry, all I'm getting is noise"

Strange....
Am I the only one getting a John Clayton impersonation in that
effort at messaging ...?... from a TBH classroom at it's roots, no less..!
/chortles/

Bill

Last edited:
I used to get more sense listening to encrypted message packages flying in on the Harris set
when I was duty Radio Officer on watch during an op.
(edit)
trans: I copped the short straw on "active duty"

0h... using the merits of military service tossed over the sandbagging.
How quaint.
Brings to mind the echo of many long passed by;
BLACK KNIGHT: 0h, oh, I see, running away, 'eh?
You yellow bastards! Come back here and take
what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

Tirrah...

I first used air freshener 19 years ago when evening up colonies in preparation for kiwi fruit pollination, I've used it since now and again but the same as others have said, I prefer to unite colonies with paper.
It does work though, and thirty dead bees is nothing to see really, the older bees from the first spring flush are dying out in terrific numbers quite naturally this time of year anyway, if they weren't we'd be knee deep in bees!

Has anyone intentionally or a accidentally united two hives without using either of the methods being discussed ?
I am curious whether war really occurs, or we all believe in a legend we are too nervous to challenge.
Thanks.

Yes war happens, I’ve often chucked swarms in together and have 1 time had some serious casualties.

I am taking it Helen that you killed off the awkward queen first?

Down in Aus? The airfreshner was mentioned on here first by ITLD if I remember right and he is as far from a sofaologist as you can get. If you don't know what he is then maybe some reading is needed.

PH

Try lemongrass essential oil diluted in water in a standard hand-held houseplant spray thingumybob.

I prefer my bees not to smell of Lynx Africa.

:yeahthat:

Also what I use. Copious amounts of smoke to both halves has also worked in an emergency

Back