2017 Beekeepers Suit Recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I've done a couple of searches and found some half decent suit threads, but thought I'd start a new one to keep it updated and relevant if that's okay?

In case of anyone being in the same shoes, my situation is that my partner (Alice) and I have taken a beekeeping course and are just about to join South Gloucestershire Beekeeping Association. We'll be getting a hive or two soon, but in the meantime will be getting ourselves suited up so that we can attend the association apiary days.

I've read pros and cons for both the vale type and the fencing type suits. I think I'll go for the fencing type...

As for specific recommendations for suit brands and where to buy to keep it cost effective, what can you all recommend? Maybe a cheaper, midrange and more expensive option would be good to cater for all if possible.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Lewis

BB wear every time, no question - either all round veil or fencing. Had the current one near to ten years of hard wear - only thing gone are those ridiculous little bits of knicker elastic to loop over your thumbs.
Buy cheap, buy twice

I'm with JBM, BB Wear. Same problem with the elastic thumb loops though.
I lean toward hat rather than fencer's mask. The brim keeps the veil away from your face better. But it is more difficult when you walk through narrow gaps, and if the two of you are working together you may knock brims.

I think a lot is down to personal preference. I've had a cheap one which didn't last a season. I have a full bbwear and half sherriff at the moment. But pretty much wear the sherriff 99% of the time as it's just a jacket and I find the veil easier to see through. I would only use sherriff in the future although not cheap. I got mine at the wbka convention at which they usually have discounts.

Dan

BB wear every time, no question - either all round veil or fencing. Had the current one near to ten years of hard wear - only thing gone are those ridiculous little bits of knicker elastic to loop over your thumbs.
Buy cheap, buy twice

I'm a firm believe of buying good gear from the off to avoid issues.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say but it looks as though the 'BB101 - Lightweight Deluxe Full Suit' on the BB website could be a good option as we apparently get 20% off through our local association.

Seems that the lightweight option will be the best bet considering it's the same price. In fact, I don't see why someone wouldn't go for the lightweight considering they're the same cost?

Another vote for BB. I see the 101 is 100% polyester, whereas BB 1 is 70% and 30 % cotton. BB 1 might be more breathable and cooler with the cotton content. Important consideration in summer, as you will sweat buckets. It is that that makes the thumb loops and wrist elastic stretch. Renewed the elastic in " boil proof " elastic this year after 7 years of wear. Apart from that the suit is as good as new.

I'm a firm believe of buying good gear from the off to avoid issues.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say but it looks as though the 'BB101 - Lightweight Deluxe Full Suit' on the BB website could be a good option as we apparently get 20% off through our local association.

Seems that the lightweight option will be the best bet considering it's the same price. In fact, I don't see why someone wouldn't go for the lightweight considering they're the same cost?

Sherriff's "Exclusive Bee Course Offers" leaflet is offering 25% discount on telephone orders until 31st May, and free UK delivery. Your BKA secretary may have copies of their leaflet.

Is there any UK versions of the mesh suit?

BBwear for me. Done 10 yrs plus and who knows how many inspections . Thumb loops don't last too long as jbm pointed out but all round good performer.

BBwear for me to, but you wont go wrong with Sherriff either. A good suit is absolutely essential, especially when you need to feel confident with 100s of angry little buzzers pinging you.

Are the Thorn mesh suits as good? They are a lot cheaper! Anyone got feed back?

I have a BB Wear suit and jacket and have to say the quality is excellent. I also like the green.

Others are also good, but most of my division seem to use BBWear.

I only use the fencing type veil. I find the hoop style tends to bounce around on my head and i have to keep pulling it aside so I can see past the hat.

I've also picked up a couple of spares quite cheaply –-one a smock and another suit – for guests to wear and while good, they don't look as well made as the others and they don't get the same level of use/washing.

Hi all,

I've done a couple of searches and found some half decent suit threads, but thought I'd start a new one to keep it updated and relevant if that's okay?

In case of anyone being in the same shoes, my situation is that my partner (Alice) and I have taken a beekeeping course and are just about to join South Gloucestershire Beekeeping Association. We'll be getting a hive or two soon, but in the meantime will be getting ourselves suited up so that we can attend the association apiary days.

I've read pros and cons for both the vale type and the fencing type suits. I think I'll go for the fencing type...

As for specific recommendations for suit brands and where to buy to keep it cost effective, what can you all recommend? Maybe a cheaper, midrange and more expensive option would be good to cater for all if possible.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Lewis

Knicker elastic always goes and when it does, instead of looping it over your thumb, just loop it over your middle finger. it does the same job.

Buy cheap, buy twice

I always wear a baseball cap under my fencing veil to keep it away from my face. I simply don't get on with the hat and hoop ones –-must be my build and the size of my head which never fits the hats.

I also tend to use a buff (stretchy headwear/kerchief/sweatband) in the summer to stop the sweat running down under my hat brim.

You can't mop your brow when you are in the middle of inspections and the bees hate it if a drop hits their frames. The buff just wicks it away and I don't get the droplets of doom...

I'm with JBM, BB Wear. Same problem with the elastic thumb loops though.
I lean toward hat rather than fencer's mask. The brim keeps the veil away from your face better. But it is more difficult when you walk through narrow gaps, and if the two of you are working together you may knock brims.

I always wear a baseball cap under my fencing veil to keep it away from my face. I simply don't get on with the hat and hoop ones –-must be my build and the size of my head which never fits the hats.

I also tend to use a buff (stretchy headwear/kerchief/sweatband) in the summer to stop the sweat running down under my hat brim.

You can't mop your brow when you are in the middle of inspections and the bees hate it if a drop hits their frames. The buff just wicks it away and I don't get the droplets of doom...

Good idea re the sweatband. I prefer the hoop style hat to keep veil away from face, find wearing a baseball cap less comfortable

We have BJ Sherriffs too. Very well made and with fencing type mask. Had no issues apart from being very warm mid summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back