2017 Beekeepers Suit Recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for BBWear .. If your local Association is registered then BB Wear also give a discount .. the discount at shows is often bigger though...

Knicker elastic always goes and when it does, instead of looping it over your thumb, just loop it over your middle finger. it does the same job.

Looking at the reviews and feedback it would appear that they've upgraded the elastic. Fingers crossed it won't be an issue moving forwards. Easy fix, though.

If you go for BB wear, as we did, go for the lightweight suit. The temp. difference is very noticeable and when washed they dry very fast on the line but have proved to be sting proof.

Looking at the reviews and feedback it would appear that they've upgraded the elastic. Fingers crossed it won't be an issue moving forwards. Easy fix, though.

I've had my lightweight BB suit 5 years. The elastic loop quickly became non-elastic so I tied a knot in the loop to reduce it's size and now put the smaller loop over my thumb = no problem.
I ordered the hoop veil but when kneeling to fit mouse guards the mesh flopped and I got stung on the tip of my nose - not a pretty sight. I emailed BB asking if I could swap to the fencing veil. They sent this without me needing to return the original.

Are the Thorn mesh suits as good? They are a lot cheaper! Anyone got feed back?

They are made in India as are the ones from Bee-equipment and the mesh appears to be very similar. (same factory?) However, the T's one has poorer quality zips which would not easily fasten properly around the veil at the throat. They also have different pocket arrangements. Of the two, the Bee-equipment one is better although much more expensive. On both the veil is too close to the face, both are cooler to wear (although still hot on very hot days) than other cotton or poly-cotton suits. The fabric has been sting-proof so far (2 years) but they can still get you around the hands / wrists and ankles / feet like any other suit. BB and Sherriff are much better designed suits but they do not make a mesh option.

BB wear every time, no question - either all round veil or fencing. Had the current one near to ten years of hard wear - only thing gone are those ridiculous little bits of knicker elastic to loop over your thumbs.
Buy cheap, buy twice

I second that, BBWear is awesome, worth every penny!
I bought some cheap all-in-one suits from T**rnes, which were not very good, the bees always found a way in.
Your association should enquire about a discount with BBWear directly, my local club gets one.

Hope this helps :)

I just received an all in one from the beeshop . Very happy with it . Nice soft material . Very good quality for the price .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Doesn't bother me in the slightest whether they put them on at all to be honest.
If that's all that fails on them I'm not concerned :)

I always wear a baseball cap under my fencing veil to keep it away from my face. I simply don't get on with the hat and hoop ones –-must be my build and the size of my head which never fits the hats.

I also tend to use a buff (stretchy headwear/kerchief/sweatband) in the summer to stop the sweat running down under my hat brim.

You can't mop your brow when you are in the middle of inspections and the bees hate it if a drop hits their frames. The buff just wicks it away and I don't get the droplets of doom...

I also wear sweatbands around my wrists .. not for the sweat but just an extra layer of protection against the odd bee that seems to want to climb up the glove cuff and under the (now after a couple of years wear and wash) less than springy elasticated cuffs !

Latest posts

Back