2009 Nuc prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just seen a website that is now taking orders for 2009 nuc's.

Either they are trying to make more profit or the supplier they use(I know who they buy from) has put the wholesale price up.

5 Frame British Standard (National) Nucleus
Only £160.00 +P & P £20.00

But is it not also supply and demand?

What is a fair price for a nuc?

I'm hoping to make up some 5 frame nucs in April/May 2009 with 2008 queens and was thinking of charging £65/£70 if successful. Do you think this would be fair?

Peter

I'm hoping to make up some 5 frame nucs in April/May 2009 with 2008 queens and was thinking of charging ?65/?70 if successful. Do you think this would be fair?

Peter

I will take all you have at that price ;)

I sold this year, 6 frame nucs, "bees on frames" for ?100 and could have sold them all day long at that.

Interesting.

Apart from producing enough comb honey for the hotel I am intending selling some nucs.

PH

I think it is important that more people start beekeeping, but the value of the compodity must be right.

In theory, you should never have to buy bees again once you are started?

And the more people get invovolved the better for beekeeping as a whole.

Just look at the popularity of chickens now, thanks to Hugh FW and Jamie O.

Beekeeping needs new blood (young blood) but it is being cut off from some sectors.

The tide will turn like the crude oil price, but while it is rising high and the peak still a way off, ride it I say.

If it works out I'll put them into the buy and sell section next Spring!

Peter

Admin you have a great plan there, I will by from Boband bec and ?50 a nuc and then sell for ?120. Easy.

But seriously, Bob, do not undersell yourself.

We always go on about what is the true cost of a jar of honey, and we do not do this for the money, but I hate to add up how much I have spent on hives etc.

Also think of it as adding to worlds population of bees.

By selling just one nuc you have done more than the BBKA has ever done to help beekeeping.

By selling just one nuc you have done more than the BBKA has ever done to help beekeeping

I agree with that. The more nucs made up the better,and no you should not sell them too cheap,they are valuable,so do not want people to think they are cheap,so easy come easy go,and hopefully this will encourage them to look after them properly.

Thanks for the encuragement Hivemaker.

When I have sold people have allready known the going rate and where more than happy to buy from somone local, who actually bred them up from stocks and not just caught swarms and boxed them up.

There is a least one of my buyers on this forum. Just had a quick update and they are doing fine.

Any i also sell are usually to local beekeepers,or not too far away,and i often get phone calls asking for advice about anything they are unsure about,which is the undertsanding i have with them when they buy the bee's,and will also go to help them if needed. This is important i think for new beekeepers to know they can call on someone for help or advice if needed.

Truth is even though i sold them the bee's,i still class them as mine.

Latest posts

Back