12oz jars - what should the fill wieght be

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

as per the title, i have some 12oz jars to fill. This is the first time ive bottled my honey to sell so want to get this right.

how much honey (weight) should be in a 12oz jar??

also, ive just creamed my oil seed rape honey as per the sticky. Any advise before I bottle it

any advice for a newb much appreciated

I knew I shouldnt have asked that question lol

I know they are a 12oz jar but 12oz of honey and 12oz of water have different densitys, therefore the volumes will be different.

so this this not matter?? should I just put in 12oz or 340g

As long as you state the weight it is of no consequence... you can sell 300 grams in the jar... but it may look a bit short of measure.
But if you state the jar has 340 grams of honey on the label.. it must contain 340grams !

Use a small weighing machine and tare/ zero, each jar before filling.... to check the accuracy of your weighing machine there are some useful UK coin weight equivalents if you look on google.

Yeah 12 oz = 340 grams. the law with any labeling says if the item is imperial weight it should have the equivalent in metric stated on its label. Or you could just have the metric stated, But I think that most customers still like to see a Lb weight on there goods. Most of my customers that come into my Butchery still ask for a Lb of mince or a 1/4 of boiled ham. As for putting just 300grms in your jars as has been suggested earlier; I dont think your product would look good.

really you need a certified trade scales but,,,,340g of honey is normally to the top of the shoulder

i find them very diff to fill without getting air bubbles under the shouilders unless the honey is warm

BUT i have found different manufactorers have diffent volumes!!! 280, 284,and 283 ml

so if you take the density of runny honey to be 1.425 on average then 340g shoud occupy is

340/1.425 ml or 239~240ml..plus filing kneck....weight 240ml/240gms/12 0z of water and see were it comes to, or try pour 3x 1lb jars into 4 x12oz jars and see what the levels is....and add just a tweeny weeny bit more

Last edited:
I knew I shouldnt have asked that question lol

I know they are a 12oz jar but 12oz of honey and 12oz of water have different densitys, therefore the volumes will be different.

so this this not matter?? should I just put in 12oz or 340g

Density and volume are irrelevent as you are selling weight. Nothing to stop you selling 8oz in a lb jar as long as labelled correctly.

Back