11 Frame Spacing Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One
Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
There's plenty of 10 and 9 frame spacing combs online, all from China, but no 11.
I ordered a 9 frame spacing comb thinking I Could just put two frames to either end and space the middle 9, but it doesn't fit.
I'm not looking for castellated spacers or plastic spacers, just a comb. Any ideas where I can get one anyone? Plastic or metal.

Cheers.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9
Of all the it’s of kit you need that’s not really 1😂.......use your fingers! Or if you really want just cut up a strip of 6 mm ply the width of the box and cut out spaces for frames. If you made it wide enough you could even cut out hand hold.

Of all the it’s of kit you need that’s not really 1😂.......use your fingers! Or if you really want just cut up a strip of 6 mm ply the width of the box and cut out spaces for frames. If you made it wide enough you could even cut out hand hold.
You're right, it's not essential, but I want one. it's certainly easier and quicker than trying to space 11 frames evenly with your hand. Tried it today; it's a lot of faffing around. Each to there own I guess.

There's plenty of 10 and 9 frame spacing combs online, all from China, but no 11.
I ordered a 9 frame spacing comb thinking I Could just put two frames to either end and space the middle 9, but it doesn't fit.
I'm not looking for castellated spacers or plastic spacers, just a comb. Any ideas where I can get one anyone? Plastic or metal.

Cheers.
Sorry but don't understand why you want a comb for such a job. You can get 11 slot castellations from Thornes but probably cheaper at Wynne Jones, C. Wynne Jones | Beekeeping Supplies UK | Bottles and Jars or Google- or make them yourself or talk to a local engineering firm that can do galvanised metal cutting. Last Thornes pattern I got were of quite thin metal - previous ones from Wynne Jones were thicker and more resilient to bending and coming adrift when inspecting. Better in some respects than Hoffman frames as you can use cheaper standard SNs without the lugs, don't need a dummy board to take up slack space, you get less propolis gluing everything together for another; also take no notice of warnings about 'rolling' the queen - has never happened for me. Just treat your bees with care.

Cheers.
Get a set of 11 castellated spacers and make a handle for it.

Get a set of 11 castellated spacers and make a handle for it.
That won't work, because you can't push down on a castellated spacer to move them into position. You would still have to use your fingers to move them in line under the castellated spacer, as its square sided.

Sorry but don't understand why you want a comb for such a job. You can get 11 slot castellations from Thornes but probably cheaper at Wynne Jones, C. Wynne Jones | Beekeeping Supplies UK | Bottles and Jars or Google- or make them yourself or talk to a local engineering firm that can do galvanised metal cutting. Last Thornes pattern I got were of quite thin metal - previous ones from Wynne Jones were thicker and more resilient to bending and coming adrift when inspecting. Better in some respects than Hoffman frames as you can use cheaper standard SNs without the lugs, don't need a dummy board to take up slack space, you get less propolis gluing everything together for another; also take no notice of warnings about 'rolling' the queen - has never happened for me. Just treat your bees with care.
Because with an 11 frame castellated spacer you have to have the frames situated in its slots with no lateral movement. I want the frames to be free to move sideways. A comb will space them out and give you plenty of sideways movement for easier removing of the frames. Just find it strange you can get these combs for 10 frame boxes but not for 12.

That won't work, because you can't push down on a castellated spacer to move them into position. You would still have to use your fingers to move them in line under the castellated spacer, as its square sided.
The main reason for not being able to find things for sale is because they are not popular and hence not worth anyone manufacturing.
I understand your comments above and if it was me I’d either buy some castellations and file the sides to allow the frames to fit looser. Or cut a comb to my specifications out of ply or plastic

The main reason for not being able to find things for sale is because they are not popular and hence not worth anyone manufacturing.
I understand your comments above and if it was me I’d either buy some castellations and file the sides to allow the frames to fit looser. Or cut a comb to my specifications out of ply or plastic
Ive ordered some castellated spacers, and I'm going to see if I can cut them to triangular points between the frame slots. I'm just amazed that this item doesn't exist for a UK 12 frame national hive, but there are plenty for 10 box frames. There doesn't appear to be any option in the UK for beekeepers who want to space their frames freely and evenly (not fixed with castellated spacers) without doing it with your fingers.

Ive ordered some castellated spacers, and I'm going to see if I can cut them to triangular points between the frame slots. I'm just amazed that this item doesn't exist for a UK 12 frame national hive, but there are plenty for 10 box frames. There doesn't appear to be any option in the UK for beekeepers who want to space their frames freely and evenly (not fixed with castellated spacers) without doing it with your fingers.
Spacing with a comb so the frames are free and not fixed seems to be a thing the Americans do. They seem to use either a plastic comb or a metal mouse guard to space 9 frames in a 10 box.

Sounds like a bit of OCD to me ... I have some supers that don't have castellations ... I just separate the frames by eye - as long as they are not too close or too far apart a millimetre or two makes no difference.. trust the Americans to invent something that complicates a simple job that doesn't need a gadget !

Sounds like a bit of OCD to me ... I have some supers that don't have castellations ... I just separate the frames by eye - as long as they are not too close or too far apart a millimetre or two makes no difference.. trust the Americans to invent something that complicates a simple job that doesn't need a gadget !
I do find the ones that space 10 frames useful in the supers. I never got on with castellations no matter how hard I tried. They are especially helpful when you are moving the supers about as you stick a comb in either side and leave them there and it locks the frames in place, so I don't get faces rubbing on each other and doing any damage. Once they are where they need to be, just slide the combs out and nothing more needs to be done.

Mine are metal and don't have handles though. I think they would get in the way using them like I do.

Buy a pair of 11 frame castellations and nail them to a handle cut out of ply.

Buy a pair of 11 frame castellations and nail them to a handle cut out of ply.
Castellated spacers won't work as they are square sided, but you've given me an idea. Draw round it on a piece of ply and extend the gaps between the frames to points and add a handle shape, then cut it out.

It is a little bit OCD, but it works really well and makes the job of spacing them quick and easy. I bet if they existed as an item, many people would buy a pair.

Castellated spacers won't work as they are square sided, but you've given me an idea. Draw round it on a piece of ply and extend the gaps between the frames to points and add a handle shape, then cut it out.
The castellations are only made from thin sheet metal ... a pair of tin snips would make short work of cutting the square bits to a point .. nail them to a piece of 2 x 1 timber and you have exactly what is required ... I remain unconvinced however that they are really necessary but then again some people use frame grips and frame hangers... and think they are other items invented to solve a problem that was not there ! Each to their own ... you won't get any criticism from me for doing what works for you...😀

The castellations are only made from thin sheet metal ... a pair of tin snips would make short work of cutting the square bits to a point .. nail them to a piece of 2 x 1 timber and you have exactly what is required ... I remain unconvinced however that they are really necessary but then again some people use frame grips and frame hangers... and think they are other items invented to solve a problem that was not there ! Each to their own ... you won't get any criticism from me for doing what works for you...😀
I've actually got a pair of castellated spacers being delivered today. I will try and cut one and see if it works. I only brought this topic up, because I want to space 11 frames in a super without castellated spacers or plastic spacers. I tried it with my fingers and whilst I could eventually space them, it did take a long time and they still weren't space correctly.

I've actually got a pair of castellated spacers being delivered today. I will try and cut one and see if it works. I only brought this topic up, because I want to space 11 frames in a super without castellated spacers or plastic spacers. I tried it with my fingers and whilst I could eventually space them, it did take a long time and they still weren't space correctly.
Post us a photo if it works - there may be others out in forumland that would like to do the same ...

Latest posts

Back