11 Frame Spacing Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see the point in you using Hoffman's then, why not just use DN1's. Eventually they will propolis between the self spacing and one will be needing a dummy board.
Found SN1 frames as cheap as 90p each. That's a bonus.

I'm just amazed that this item doesn't exist for a UK 12 frame national hive
I'm not - it's just another pointless gadget targeteed at the American hobbyist -so pointless it's not even seen as desireable by the usual gadget collecting UK hobbyist 😁

I'm not - it's just another pointless gadget targeteed at the American hobbyist -so pointless it's not even seen as desireable by the usual gadget collecting UK hobbyist 😁
Its not pointless. It does a job very well. If you want to space eleven frames out without the use of castellators or plastic spacers, then its ideal for doing quickly and correctly. Yes you can use you fingers, but it's a lot of messing around trying to get the frames spread evenly.

I have no experience of national hive 12 frame boxes and was amazed that here there is no mechanism for spacing them evenly without using your fingers or setting them in castellators or plastic spacers.

Who says a national is supposed to have 12 frames lol.

No charge for planting the idea haha.

According to the great all knowing Wikipedia...........................

Box​
Length x width /mm​
Frame capacity​
Standard (brood)460 x 460 (external) 374 x 424 (internal)11(in practice)
Shallow (honey super)10–12
Deep (14x12)11 (in practice)

Each to their own. Actually, I would not want 11 frames in my supers. If I did, castellations, or SN4 frames would be my choice.
Puzzled and interested as I have always had 11 in my Nationals. so why do you have less than 11 in a super - and the same number for BBs?

According to the great all knowing Wikipedia...........................

Box​
Length x width /mm​
Frame capacity​
Standard (brood)460 x 460 (external) 374 x 424 (internal)11(in practice)
Shallow (honey super)10–12
Deep (14x12)11 (in practice)
Not that knowledgeable - a 14x12 is a jumbo, not a deep (which is what the standard box is)

Puzzled and interested as I have always had 11 in my Nationals. so why do you have less than 11 in a super - and the same number for BBs?
I suppose if you have 10 in and 10 supers to extract you are saving yourself a super's worth of labour. Extrapolate that to more and you have a bigger saving. Also cut comb is nicer on fatter frames?

Many commercials (the ones who use Nationals or Commercials) stick to eleven in the supers, using Hoffman frames - saves the faff of castellations or those bloody plastic spacers

IIRC, ITLD mentioned supers with a full compliment of frames on hoffman spacing as the most economical format. For the few extra pennies for SN4 I think I'd agree. Mine are nearly entirely 10 slot but the landowner has few hives, all his supers are SN4 and they seem fat enough.

Many commercials (the ones who use Nationals or Commercials) stick to eleven in the supers, using Hoffman frames - saves the faff of castellations or those bloody plastic spacers
What Hoffman frames will space out eleven frames evenly? I thought there was only SN4 and SN1 frames.

Latest posts

Back